Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hisnameisnikita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
Hey everyone, long story short I bought myself airpods max not that long ago and I was quite happy using them until yesterday when I noticed headband staining (see photo).

So my question is: is there any way to buy a replacement for a headband since it is easy detachable? I'm not able to find it anywhere online and the only option right now is basically look for spare parts.

Attachments

• 2EE54CA9-8328-4CE4-B881-F2DDB3456F48.jpeg
    2EE54CA9-8328-4CE4-B881-F2DDB3456F48.jpeg
    263.2 KB · Views: 3,916

hisnameisnikita

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
I expect there is going to be an official announcement this autumn for possible headband replacements in Airpods Max 2 since Apple didn't announce this replacement at first. Maybe they will have more color and material options, anyway, curious to hear your thoughts.

Reactions: Wackery

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Try washing them, should help out a bit with the staining.
I got a new pair under AC+ when mine was stained yellow.

tmoerel

Suspended
Jan 24, 2008
Hey everyone, long story short I bought myself airpods max not that long ago and I was quite happy using them until yesterday when I noticed headband staining (see photo).

So my question is: is there any way to buy a replacement for a headband since it is easy detachable? I'm not able to find it anywhere online and the only option right now is basically look for spare parts.
Why replace a perfectly working headband???

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
Why replace a perfectly working headband???
It looks quite ugly when yellowed.
Other options :
1. White color headband cover
2. Wash with detergent
3. AppleCare or out of warranty cost of replacement
4. For parts purchase on eBay and swap the headband.

dwetteroth

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
I have tried twice now to send in my Airpod Max for staining and the headband mesh is failing on mine - I am still under Applecare+. Both times they have sent it back after sending it out saying they refuse to replace it - I mean what options do I have - mine is in pretty rough shape only after 18 months of having it. Any tips for how to get apple to actually honor AppleCare+?

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
I have tried twice now to send in my Airpod Max for staining and the headband mesh is failing on mine - I am still under Applecare+. Both times they have sent it back after sending it out saying they refuse to replace it - I mean what options do I have - mine is in pretty rough shape only after 18 months of having it. Any tips for how to get apple to actually honor AppleCare+?

You are the first person I heard off, that has a damaged mesh.
can you show some images of the damage ?

And what did Apple say about the refusal to repair ?

thedreamking

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2021

I was looking at the headphones on Walmart the other day and noticed there were a few 3rd party headband replacements, but the listings did say "unavailable". This at least seems to suggest there are options for replacement outside of apple. Hope thats at least somewhat helpful.

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Unfortunately an additional/duplicate thread exists besides this one.
There they got their headbands replaced:

Reactions: murdoc2k

murdoc2k

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
I've had mine for about 1.5 years. I don't use them everyday, but I do use it now and then; sometimes for music, other times for watching movies and now I'm noticing the sagging canopy issue as well. I don't have Apple Care+ for my APM so I probably will try the battery replacement option. Thanks for the tip everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.