Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Well, I've managed to get my laptop (that Mitthrawnruondo broke :mad:) up and running as a VNC server (which was harder than it sounds). Now, VNC is nice but has very little point.

The problem is that, when I attempt to boot the iBook from CD, it won't let me. I thought that it didn't sense the monitor and hence boots in headless mode or something, but it will eject and accept CDs (and respond to other key commands -- typing blind was how I started Terminal and got the power settings, sshd, and VNC up to snuff)...

Anyone know what the problem is here? I've booted from these CDs before, but the iBook doesn't even seem to read them. "Hello? Oh, hi, Gentoo CD! No, I won't let you boot, because then I might become useful again. Jackass."

Anyone know a way around this? Is there a boot-args variable that will set it to boot from CD? Should I set it in open firmware? Anyone know anything? Hello?

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
kalisphoenix said:
Well, I've managed to get my laptop (that Mitthrawnruondo broke :mad:) up and running as a VNC server (which was harder than it sounds). Now, VNC is nice but has very little point.

The problem is that, when I attempt to boot the iBook from CD, it won't let me. I thought that it didn't sense the monitor and hence boots in headless mode or something, but it will eject and accept CDs (and respond to other key commands -- typing blind was how I started Terminal and got the power settings, sshd, and VNC up to snuff)...

Anyone know what the problem is here? I've booted from these CDs before, but the iBook doesn't even seem to read them. "Hello? Oh, hi, Gentoo CD! No, I won't let you boot, because then I might become useful again. Jackass."

Anyone know a way around this? Is there a boot-args variable that will set it to boot from CD? Should I set it in open firmware? Anyone know anything? Hello?
My guess is that your CDs are older than your iBook. It is a well-known fact that only on rare occasions can you boot a Mac using an OS that is older than the machine.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
MisterMe said:
My guess is that your CDs are older than your iBook. It is a well-known fact that only on rare occasions can you boot a Mac using an OS that is older than the machine.

I've used a Gentoo 2004.3, a Gentoo 2005.1, an Ubuntu 5.04, and a Panther CD. It's a clamshell iBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.