Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
The clicker on the buds that my iPhone came with stopped working. Naturally I thought it was strictly because of a defect somewhere in them. I called apple and they sent me a replacement. Now, right from the get-go the clicker on these brand new buds isn't working either. Is it an iPhone problem or did I get a defected pair??

Anyone with any experience on this issue?

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Sorry to revive on old thread but... I have the same problem.

Mine seem to pause.. just. But I can't skip forward or back between tracks.

Are they headphones broken or could it be something else?

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
take a peek into your headphone jack with a light. Can you see the water sensor at the bottom? If you can't fully see it, or can't see it at all, you've probably got some lint/dust stuck down in the jack. If there is lint in the headphone jack, it can cover the connector for the remote band on the headphones.

i would take a toothpick or something, and carefully try to fish out any lint if there is any.

This happened to me before, and as soon as i removed any debris, everything worked perfectly

hope this helps

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
Had a very similar problem. Fixed it with a halogen light and a needle.

Procedure:

1. Turn off the iPhone
2. Look inside the headphone jack to see if there is dirt. If no dirt then thats not the problem and so this wont be any help.
3. Most likely there will be some pocket lint in there so gradually draw it out with the needle while using the bright light to see in
4. You will know when it is mostly out as the bottom of the headphone jack will show a round white circle, the moisture indicator that Apple use.
5. Should be back in operation hopefully!!

Hope thats helpful to someone!! :D

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I could see there was a little bit around the side and I did my best to try and get it out, but there isn't enough in there to cause it not to work. Now, I think I've managed to get it out but it still isn't working... if you click it long enough, it goes to the next track. I have a feeling it could be the remote itself

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
It took me quite a while of poking around to drag the dirt out the top missing the connectors on the way up. Have your ear buds being tugged badly recently?

actorkid

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
if that doesnt work, maybe your headphones are donezo

bring it in to apple...theyll probably have you show them it doesn't work on another phone (not yours)...and if it doesnt work theyll just give you a new set....honestly they might not even ask questions at all...a lot of genius' are pretty quick to give away new headphones since they know how crappy they are

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Hmm. I guess a quick way to find out is if I try another set. Looks like a visit to my sister is in order

skwoytek

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2005
If you can pause, but the iPhone isn't recognizing multiple clicks it may be a software issue. I had a similar problem and restoring the software fixed the problem. Definitely try a new set of earbuds before you go that route though.

I think the headphones just aren't that good.

This is based on how many complaints out of the 21 million iPhone sold*?

*Keep in mind that 1 million complaints is less than 5%, which is a fairly low failure rate for such a frequently used and abused electronic accessory. That's not to say there aren't better earbuds on the market...

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
I have had several pairs have the button stop working. I have two headphone adapters that have a mic button and let you use regular headphones and they work fine.

davyreins

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
Ann Arbor
If you can pause, but the iPhone isn't recognizing multiple clicks it may be a software issue. I had a similar problem and restoring the software fixed the problem. Definitely try a new set of earbuds before you go that route though.

This is based on how many complaints out of the 21 million iPhone sold*?

*Keep in mind that 1 million complaints is less than 5%, which is a fairly low failure rate for such a frequently used and abused electronic accessory. That's not to say there aren't better earbuds on the market...

I obviously don't have any statistics in regards to complaints. This is simply based on my own experience and of people that I know that have similar issues with them. Because the earbuds come free with the iPhone and are small/made of plastic, due to their nature it wouldn't surprise me that a fair amount of people would have minor issues with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.