Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Starting to relearn piano after a few decades off and am looking for headphones to use while I practice. I found this thread:

but no answers. My request is fairly simple. I'm looking to spend up to $200 on a set of headphones to use, and searching for reviews yields all sorts of results. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, but the soft ear coverings is starting to peel, like they all seem to do.

What do users here use for over the ear, ANC headphones?

Last edited:

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
You'll probably find wireless headphones introduce too much latency to be of use.
I would instead recommend circumaural closed-back wired headphones.

Reactions: belvdr

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I would recommend replacing the ear cushions on those Sennheisers.

I did this on my Sony MDR-7506 phones and they sound just the same as before…too bassy and not enough midrange…but just the same. I use some BeyerDynamic phones now.

Save yourself some $$$.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
I would recommend replacing the ear cushions on those Sennheisers.

I did this on my Sony MDR-7506 phones and they sound just the same as before…too bassy and not enough midrange…but just the same. I use some BeyerDynamic phones now.

Save yourself some $$$.
Which model did you choose?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Which model did you choose?
The BeyerDynamics? I got the DT 880 Pro model (high impedance) but for your use you'd want normal impedance phones.

The Beyers were quite tight on my head when I got them…but after stretching them a bit they're extremely comfortable and are great for critical listening.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
The BeyerDynamics? I got the DT 880 Pro model (high impedance) but for your use you'd want normal impedance phones.

The Beyers were quite tight on my head when I got them…but after stretching them a bit they're extremely comfortable and are great for critical listening.
Thanks for the tip!

belvdr

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
When working sense College working part time in modern radio station the on air DJs still use the old Sony MDR7506 that should give you the cleanest sound!
The is THE "industry standard" headphone people who do sound recording for TV and motion pictures. They are spot-on accurate and only use half your budget. Cost about $80

The other instrustry standed is the K240. These are semi-open headphones and perhaps even better but sound spills out of the headphones and you can also hear outside sounds. They are best used in a quiet place where there are no open microphones. They are widely used by engineers to mix sound. They are also well under your budget at $55, spend $90 on the "Studio" version that has replaceable parts. These are an outstandingly good headphone, if you can accept that sound is not 100% isolated from the environment

As it turns out, only amateur home "audiophiles" spend a lot on headphones. The pros never do, they just use a few industry standards that are 30+ years old.

That said, all good pro headphones have a flat and detailed sound, they do not produce the exaggerated bass that is popular with many consumers.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
The is THE "industry standard" headphone people who do sound recording for TV and motion pictures. They are spot-on accurate and only use half your budget. Cost about $80

The other instrustry standed is the K240. These are semi-open headphones and perhaps even better but sound spills out of the headphones and you can also hear outside sounds. They are best used in a quiet place where there are no open microphones. They are widely used by engineers to mix sound. They are also well under your budget at $55, spend $90 on the "Studio" version that has replaceable parts. These are an outstandingly good headphone, if you can accept that sound is not 100% isolated from the environment

As it turns out, only amateur home "audiophiles" spend a lot on headphones. The pros never do, they just use a few industry standards that are 30+ years old.

That said, all good pro headphones have a flat and detailed sound, they do not produce the exaggerated bass that is popular with many consumers.
I purchased a pair of the MDR7506 and they arrived today. They are much more comfortable than the Sennheiser HD280 Pro they replaced. At the very least, I won't have black specks all over the place now. :)

Reactions: satcomer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.