Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz109

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
Earlier today I was using my iPhone 7 and listening to music with my Apple headphones without any problems. Nothing happened and as I plugged in the headphones in the lightning jack again, no sound was coming out of the headphones anymore. Although speakers on the iPhone were working. I turned the phone off, but it got stuck on the Apple icon. After restarting over and over for about 30 mins, my iPhone turned on again. Ever since, no sound comes out of my headphones when plugged in. Instead the sound comes out of the speaker on the phone itself. I am suddenly not able to call and when I try to use the mic on the iPhone it doesn't work. I can't send voice messages and call. Even whilst recording a video no sound is recorded. I updated to 11.4.1 and restarted it multiple times. Even cleaned the jack, but still the same issue.

So the mic is not working and when I plug in headphones the sound comes out of the speakers on the phone.

How can I solve this?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Earlier today I was using my iPhone 7 and listening to music with my Apple headphones without any problems. Nothing happened and as I plugged in the headphones in the lightning jack again, no sound was coming out of the headphones anymore. Although speakers on the iPhone were working. I turned the phone off, but it got stuck on the Apple icon. After restarting over and over for about 30 mins, my iPhone turned on again. Ever since, no sound comes out of my headphones when plugged in. Instead the sound comes out of the speaker on the phone itself. I am suddenly not able to call and when I try to use the mic on the iPhone it doesn't work. I can't send voice messages and call. Even whilst recording a video no sound is recorded. I updated to 11.4.1 and restarted it multiple times. Even cleaned the jack, but still the same issue.

So the mic is not working and when I plug in headphones the sound comes out of the speakers on the phone.

How can I solve this?

It sounds like there could be a problem with the Lightning plug or jack.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Clean out your headphone jack. It's probably full of lint. Us a toothpick or non metal object. Maybe even compressed air or small vacuum.

Reactions: Azzin

Daikazoku

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2018

How can I solve this?
I have the exact same problem with my iPhone 7, were you able to solve it? If yes, how?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Interesting. We had the same issue with my wife’s iPhone 7. (Just for reference two year AC+ expired two months earlier) Called the Apple store and went in with the phone. They said yep it’s broken and wanted to charge $300 to fix. Instead I traded the phone in for $250 for a 128 GB red XR.

(I did try several rounds of turn off-turn on, force reset etc)

Pri

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2019
Hi has anybody fixed this issue? My iPhone 7 did this to me yesterday, I was on a call on loud speaker and the next thing I know the phone cuts out. The after effect is now when making or receiving calls I can’t hear nothing but the speakers work when listening music or make calls via Bluetooth, I can’t even put the call on louder speaker as the symbol is greyed out and you can press it.

Please let me know if somebody found a fix for this.

Thanks

drewlefty

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2019
The same with my Iphone Pro max. My earphone is plugged in into my iphone pro max then all of a sudden the sound is coming out to external speaker of iphone pro max. I bought it last month. I need to unplugged it and plugged it again to work. Any answer?

Adrian_S

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2020
I'm having the exact same issue with an iPhone 8 - even though headphones are connected, sound is still coming from the phone's speakers. This occured after I connected the AUX port from my car.

Kiwi NZ

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2020
Auckland
SOLVED!
Plug the headphones in, you may hear an audio "beep". Go to Bluetooth settings, scroll down to find a new option "Lightning" and select. Audio switches to headphones. Did this with non powered headphones.
Cheers

Reactions: NLM88

izzzy.m

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2020
happened to my iphone 7 today. Was working normal for hours with and without headphones in, and then out of nowhere when i go to use my earphones the sound plays through phone speaker. my apple headphones are only like 2 months old, they work in other iphones and my phone can charge so the headphones aren’t the issue nor my lighting jack i don’t think. i can’t send voice notes, and when i ring someone i can’t hear them or put on loudspeaker as the button is greyed out. would really appreciate any info or even advice honestly.
thank you!

NLM88

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2021
SOLVED!
Plug the headphones in, you may hear an audio "beep". Go to Bluetooth settings, scroll down to find a new option "Lightning" and select. Audio switches to headphones. Did this with non powered headphones.
Cheers
THANK YOU!
This worked for me too on my iPhone XR. Was driving me crazy - would think Apple would have a more user friendly earphone set up. So glad I found your comment!

Casper Sanders

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2022
SOLVED!
Cheers
Hi! I can't find the "Lightning" option you mention. My iPhoneX runs iOS 16. Your help will be greatly appreciated.

BMO70

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2022
Hi! I can't find the "Lightning" option you mention. My iPhoneX runs iOS 16. Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Hi so I just got my new earphones too and I experienced the same prob but here is the fix, although it may vary but I am using an Iphone 7 plus, so plug your earphones and u might hear a beep sound so Go to settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices > Then there are two options, the bottom one says "Hearing aid compatibility" but don't press that, press the option above (can't remember what it says) but choose that then it will say connect to a beats x earphone (thats what it showed me) then it's automatically gonna turn ur Bluetooth on and after that it'll just keep saying "searching". No need to wait for it to finish searching cuz it'll just work even the "searching" is not yet done, so go to your spotify and try to listen to music. Hope it helps :>

BMO70

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2022
A
Hi so I just got my new earphones too and I experienced the same prob but here is the fix, although it may vary but I am using an Iphone 7 plus, so plug your earphones and u might hear a beep sound so Go to settings > Accessibility > Hearing Devices > Then there are two options, the buttom one says "Hearing aid compatibility" but don't press that, press the option above (can't remember what it says) but choose that then it will say connect to a beats x earphone (thats what it showed me) then it's automatically gonna turn ur Bluetooth on and after that it'll just keep saying "searching" but it will still work so no need to wait for it to finish searching, then go to your spotify and try to listen to music. Hope it helps :>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.