Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BBob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2003
I have bluetooth-enabled Widex hearing aids that support one-way streaming: audio from the iPhone to the hearing aids only. (Widex music streaming is quite good, by the way!) When making a phone call, however, I can hear the other party directly through the hearing aids, but I have to hold the iPhone to my mouth for them to hear me, because this arrangement uses the iPhone's microphone.

I really need to connect an external lapel microphone for hands-free calls, while walking, for example. I'd prefer a bluetooth mic, but the wireless mics I've found are expensive Widex 2"x2" bricks, inconvenient 2 piece systems (a transmitter and a receiver that plugs into the iPhone), or expensive (over $200) Bluetooth mics. I am willing accept a microphone that plugs into the lightning port with a short, 3' wire.

In any case, my questions are: If I'm streaming output to the hearing aids, can I also use an external mic of any sort for input? Does anyone have experience with external mics for phone calls, and which mics work for this?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.