Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2021
I've got heat problems with my iPhone 12 mini with the following symptoms:

When it's warm weather, not really hot, just around 25° C (~ 77° F), I have issues using my iPhone. I just browse a bit in the internet, or check my emails and perhaps answer some emails, then the backside of my iPhone easily gets unusually warm. After a short while, it looks like it goes into some energy saving mode, which I notice not because it tells me so, but because screen brightness is reduced noticeably. Sometimes it's even hard to read. After a while, it gets back to normal, but only for short, then it gets hot again and dims the screen again.

In the car, when I use my iPhone for navigation and streaming from Apple Music at the same time, the same happens. I may even get an overheating warning.

I didn't have such severe symptoms with my iPhone SE, and I'm not sure if I had these problems with iOS 15. I'm wondering if that is the same with the iPhone 13 mini? Or has anybody noticed changes with iOS 16 in other iPhones, too?

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I've got heat problems with my iPhone 12 mini with the following symptoms:

When it's warm weather, not really hot, just around 25° C (~ 77° F), I have issues using my iPhone. I just browse a bit in the internet, or check my emails and perhaps answer some emails, then the backside of my iPhone easily gets unusually warm. After a short while, it looks like it goes into some energy saving mode, which I notice not because it tells me so, but because screen brightness is reduced noticeably. Sometimes it's even hard to read. After a while, it gets back to normal, but only for short, then it gets hot again and dims the screen again.

In the car, when I use my iPhone for navigation and streaming from Apple Music at the same time, the same happens. I may even get an overheating warning.

I didn't have such severe symptoms with my iPhone SE, and I'm not sure if I had these problems with iOS 15. I'm wondering if that is the same with the iPhone 13 mini? Or has anybody noticed changes with iOS 16 in other iPhones, too?
No issues on my 14 Pro Max with iOS 16. Is this happening while using it in direct sunlight? I feel like the display goes extra bright in direct sunlight, but can only maintain that for a short period. I have noticed this with my iPhone.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
It may be an issue with your battery if your phone is a couple of years old.

Older batteries have a higher internal resistance and tend to generate more heat. As smartphones have no active cooling, the rest of the components will also overheat causing your phone to throttle in an attempt to reduce overall temperature.

I would look into an official Apple battery replacement if your battery health is below 90%.

TriciaMacMillan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 10, 2021
I would look into an official Apple battery replacement if your battery health is below 90%.
Thanks for your suggestion. However, my battery is at 96%, and in fact I've had my iPhone replaced only 6 or 7 months ago through Apple Care, so I'd assume it's relatively new. However, I do have a feeling that the replacement gets hot more easily than my original one did. But of course, I have no numbers to prove that, so I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.