Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aburst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Hello,

I am in the process of upgrading a hand me down MacPro 3,1's CPU. It came with one CPU and I am upgrading to two E5472's. I am hoping someone can clarify the part number for the heatsink to make sure I install the correct one over the place holder empty one that came with it.

I ordered a "Apple Mac Pro First A1186 generation Heatsink and Fan 593-0323" from ebay, but now that I am double checking everything I am second guessing myself that this is not the correct heatsink, but perhaps a heatsink for the previous model 1,1 or 2,1. Are these heatsink's backward/forward compatible? If not, does anyone know the exact part number I should search for?

Thanks guys.

s-l1600.jpg

aburst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
do you think the 593-0323 part i ordered would work on the 2008 model or is it a different heatsink for an older mac? On some ebay listings i see them used interchangeably.

aburst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2018
Thanks for the dvwarehouse site. has lots of good references for part numbers on it. I think i am gonna play it safe and just order part number 593-0635 and not mess with the 593-0323 one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.