Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Anyone else got it yet?

It took longer to download than it did to beat :eek: But it was pretty cool actually. I'm glad I pre-ordered it. It has a few slowdowns in frame rate for just a sec at the beginning but after that it seemed to run nice and smooth. Looks really really good too, the landscape looks really top notch. Voice acting is well done, and so is the music.

The different stances are cool too. R1 is power stance and L1 is range stance while just standing there is speed stance. All have different combos and abilities to block different attacks. The lack of a jump buttons kind of screwed me up though since I like to be able to do jump attacks. And what is with the lack of blood?! A little spurt here and there? Please. You are hacking at people with a big ass sword.

Too bad its only 5 minutes longe :(

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
Like I was saying...the game is going to be sweet. Played it and its just beautiful.

This will be my fix until it ships but this game is top. The stance are cool, I find myself in the "hard hitting" stance a lot because its "totally awesome dude"

The level of detail is top.

Bless

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Will download this 2moro.

So how does it feel and look. Is it anywhere near as good as God of War ?

It looks quite nice. Very vibrant feel to it. I haven't played God of War in a long time but if I recall correctly, this feels a lot more like a fighting game than GoW did (I always thought it was just a button masher...) According to the IGN Beyond Podcast they all agree that the demo is a poor representation of the game because there is more to the game than just fighting in one stage then moving on to fighting in the next stage, etc. Plus one of the devs that circles around another forum I visit said that you should take your time with the same and try not to just button mash as you will have more fun and play it more successfully if you take the time to learn the combos etc.

Did you like the autoblock 2ny? I have a hell of a time getting used to it after playing (rather crappily i might add) Ninja Gaiden for the past little while.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
I just noticed there is a block move(on my 7th try) after gettting Nariko pretty little butt kicked all around the stage....My fingers are hurting.

I agree the demo is a pure button masher....but stringing combos are cool.

I did the "nuts" smash and that was cool...it cleared out all the dudes ready to jump me.

*Note: Anyone notice how she rips apart the sword for different stance? now thats cool things like that I like.

Power Stance: Blades joined
Fast: Blades seperated with a chain(?)
Normal: two blades

Bless

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
20070727.jpg

Sorry...couldn't resist.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I downloaded the demo quite a few hours ago and have played it a few times. I don't see how anyone can call it a button masher. It is no where as arcadey as GoW. The combat seems reasonably deep, unless you actually take the time to learn the combat system I can't see you lasting very long.

I have to say I was absolutely amazed when I fired this up the first time, the graphics are un-fracking-believable. The action is spot on. This is a must buy IMHO.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Indeed risc but when I first started it wasn't more but when I got the hang of it and started doing some serious combos and bridging stance it became like music....lets put it like this

I kick arse all over that platform...really really fast.

I can't wait for this game.

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well I'm at 69% downloaded just now.

Hopefully it will be downloaded before I head off for the Skellig Islands.

So should I expect Ninja Gaiden more so than GoW I'm presumbing going on your replies.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Oh you just have to rub it in don't you :p

:p

I have a picture of them somewhere. Let me dig it out. Sad thing is I agreed to go and then forgot how sea sick I get, so I'm actually not really looking forward to it - especially as its quite blustery out there today...

edit.... here's the place
skelliggc4.jpg

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Well I'm at 69% downloaded just now.
Hopefully it will be downloaded before I head off for the Skellig Islands.
So should I expect Ninja Gaiden more so than GoW I'm presumbing going on your replies.

The combat system won't feel as fast at first(takes little time to get use to) and it will be differcult getting it down the first three runs but my advise to you is to stay up above first and try out the stance then connect them to the other stance....let the bashing begin.

Theres an autoblock so if you don't press anything she'll autoblock.
Shaking the controller makes her juggle the AI to start an aerial aasault...kinda hard to pull off but if you can seperate the AI then you can try it out.

SideNote: MRU that island looks interesting....whats going on there?

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
SideNote: MRU that island looks interesting....whats going on there?

There's an ancient monastic settlement on the island, and basically they have trips out to the island so that you can see it. There's a group of us - so we have the boat and should have the Island to ourselves at least for a couple of hours anyway.

It's really quite an amazing place, to imagine these monks living out there.

It's literally like somthing out of King Kong.

There are over 600 steps from the bottom to the top of the island and your literally peering over a precipice.

I guess now's not a good time to also mention I'm scared of heights.

267_skellig8.jpg

22564110.jpg

skelligmichael3.jpg

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
It's a wonderful place, I went there when I was a kid and have always wanted to return with a decent camera. Which reminds me - I need to get back to the Hebrides :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well it downloaded before I'm off and all I can say is you guys are easily pleased. ;)

Graphics are ok, but not WOW. The hair thing still looks pathetic and if 1 cell is doing that, then its a total waste.

Took me 5 minutes to finish, a bit pathetic for a demo tbh.

Control wise to me this is not as advanced as Ninja Gaiden - it definetly inbetween GoW and NG. You can certainly button mash.

Very easy to control, but its a crying shame no proper camera control.

Still hasn't made it to my must buy list.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
One of the Devs of the game said its an old build(which I think still looks awesome) and the build they are on now has improved but basically the game is the same.

MRU...seriously I can't see whats not to like about the graphics...what makes it "ok" but not "cool" in your books.

I'm quite intrigued to find out what people think are the ground breakers...of course we all have different opinions but still because I can't see anything wrong except a little frame rate problems(which has been sorted out already)

There are a lot of games some of you guys like and call the graphics top but when I look at it I see average looking so I would just like to know if we base it the same:)

Bless

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
NinjaTheory TALKS about Heavenly Sword Demo! Glitches, Build and HELL MODE!

http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=134232

Question 1

There were a few problems with it that I would like to point out.

- First when you do super styles that abrupt music change is very odd. The volume increases and it just seems a little out of place. The music cut out every so often and there was even one part right at the beginning of the demo that the music was actually crackling.. it was strange.

Some bodies float as well.

But I had so much fun with the demo and I played through it about 12 times so far.

Answer 1

The volume increase was because they were 'super styles', however, I did nock them back a bit and do some balancing just a day or so ago.

The audio (music cutting out) glitches during the Ninja Sequence are also fixed.

FYI the demo was locked down ages ago, plenty of spit n polish has been done since then right.

Question 2

is blocking is automatic?

Answer 2
It's not completely automatic, in that you need to be in the right stance to block the incoming move (or evade for unblockables).

For a NinjaChallenge - try completing the demo ONLY using counter-attacks

Question 3

Please tell me the hard mode is available without having to play through once to unlock it?

Answer 3

HELL mode is available right off the bat, yes.

Bare in mind, that what you're playing now is a level early on in the story, you can scrape through it just by mashing buttons - try that in the later chapters and you'll get your (gorgeous) ass handed to you on a plate...

Question 4

Please tell me the hard mode is available without having to play through once to unlock it?

Answer 4

I heard today that we had to prove to Sony that the game could be completed in Hell Mode... a couple of ninja's managed it I believe. Seems the testers didn't! Hehe.

Question 5

also, does anyone else notice the brightness of the game fading in and out? I keep thinking its my TV, but i'm curious...

Answer 5

Naa, that'll be the sun going behind the clouds.

Noticable points

- the demo is an old build probably from last years demo since its exactally the same level
- the game has improved significantly from the demos build
- many glitches are fixed
- sound issuses have also been fixed

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
MRU...seriously I can't see whats not to like about the graphics...what makes it "ok" but not "cool" in your books.

OK, fixed camera basically, meaning the world isn't full, it's like a quasi 2D platform that we never get to fully appreciate, we can only see whats behind the camera.

The hair which is a silly thing to fixate on, but one that came to be promoted as showing of how natural and breathtaking the power of the cell was, and how utterly realistic it was meant to be, and yet as it turns out is really rather pathetic to look at with no discernable difference to last gen hair on characters. In fact TombRaider legend, the hair on Lara was actually better animated.

The fact that the cutscenes although compiled in engine, were not real time and just basically fmv. That's uninspiring at this stage.

I just was not wowed by it and at this stage I really wanted the PS3 to wow me. This is probably the biggest hyped PS3 game.

Dont get me wrong it looks good, but would you put as a 'bastain' of graphics on the PS3 after seeing it. I wouldn't.

However saying that, we have seen the smallest demo on earth and so in fairness there could really be some WOW moments, just not seeing them here.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I don't know why anyone is upset with the demo, it has been clearly stated that is an extremely old build.

I've been reading the console game sites and they are all impressed with the later builds they have got their hands on.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/808/808847p1.html

Today at the office, we were fortunate enough to receive a preview build of Ninja Theory's greatly anticipated title: Heavenly Sword. The build essentially spans all of chapter two...

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161594

We're finally back from our post-E3 respite and we've got a 1UP Show super-powered by cell processing!

First up, I chat with Ryan O'Donnell and Shane Bettenhausen about my new favorite redhead, Nariko. She's the ass-whooping heroine of Heavenly Sword, and we're all fairly twitterpated by her. Most PS3 owners have been treated to a demo of the game this week, but we've had a chance to play much more and we show it all to you here...

There is plenty of more good up to date information about this game out there.

I'll be making my mind up about this game when it finally gets released. At the moment though it is shaping up be 1 hell of a title imo.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
The length of the demo just left me wanting more...which is a good thing. I'm buying this game no matter if it doesn't score good(which I know it will)

The game does push the notion of "1st gen games sucking graphically" to another level though...it is candy(with some hiccups)

I heard they are making an animated series out of the game...nice.

Bless

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.