Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Hi all,
Seems I've hit an issue that has Apple Support scratching their heads too...
Trying to get audio from my daughter's Casio LK-130 keyboard into her new MacBook for using in GarageBand.
Keyboard only has analogue output via headphone jack.
Bought a Behringer U-Control UCA222 which is designed for this sort of analogue to digital conversion.
It has RCA inputs and regular USB output which obviously has to be run through the Apple USB-C adaptor lead. It also has a monitor port to allow you to hear the signal. I'm assuming this just taps into the analogue stream.
Okay, so... device is bus-powered, lights up just fine. Headphones plugged into the device have clear audio so we have audio at that stage.
Open GarageBand and... zip. No audio whatsoever.
Open Sound Control Panel and under the inputs tab USB Audio CODEC has automatically selected so the Mac is seeing the device.
Then here's where it gets weird... down the bottom of the Sound panel is an input level monitor bar.
Press a key on the keyboard & the bar registers the audio. Turn the volume (therefore output level) up on the keyboard & the level will display higher when a key is pressed. Turn it down and it goes lower.
I am totally baffled, as is Apple.
It is like something is not switched on or a plug-in is missing.
Anyone have any ideas?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Just some thoughts...

Have you checked the "Audio/MIDI Setup" utility?

You might try downloading the free "Audacity" digital audio workstation app.
Just to see if you could get it working that way.

I'd try "Reaper", too (should be a free download) -- again, just to experiment with.

rexone

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Just some thoughts...

Have you checked the "Audio/MIDI Setup" utility?

You might try downloading the free "Audacity" digital audio workstation app.
Just to see if you could get it working that way.

I'd try "Reaper", too (should be a free download) -- again, just to experiment with.

Thanks @Fishrrman
Yes, looked at Audio/Midi Setup but was unsure what most of it actually did so just left it be.
Funny you should mention Audacity. I had planned on that being my next step & got around to installing it tonight.
Once I tweaked the settings etc (it is a seriously primitive app...) guess what? Audio coming through loud & clear.
So... sort of as I expected. The audio is being converted as expected but GarageBand is not 'seeing' the stream.
It is like something isn't switched on but I have no idea what.
I also humped the keyboard across the house & plugged it into my iMac. Same problem there so the issue isn't just with the MacBook. Everything is pointing more & more to it being a GarageBand issue.
Guess I'll have to spend another 2-hours on the phone to Apple tomorrow...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.