Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Okay, I've posted this problem in another thread thinking it was related to another software (Quicktime) update. Now that the problem has come back, I'm conviced there's something else, something more extreme, wrong.

I'm Running Mac OS X 10.4.9 on an iMac G5, with ALL the most recent software updates as of 5 minutes ago, just for reference.

My problem: I try to Run Halo (v1.5.2 PPC), and once the 'Halo' image comes up, and the screen resolution changes, it imediately closes saying "Halo Unexpectedly Quit: Close, Report, Reopen?"

This same problem occured about 2 weeks ago. Like I said, my origional hypothesis was it was related to the Quicktime Update, since I was playing Halo mere minutes before the update, and was unable to do so right from start up. Though after 2 reinstallations, Halo started working again.

Well, it's back. And it's not cooperating this time, and I don't know what's causing it.

I've tried EVERYTHING. To show you my most recent attempt on how thurough I've been, going WAY out of the way, here's my very detailed process on how I have repeatedly reinstalled Halo. This is aggrivating me.

1) Spotlighted 'Halo' and 'Bungie' and deleted EVERYTHING remotely related to Halo.
2) Repaired Permissions.
3) Installed Halo (v1.0.2) right off the disk.
4) Repaired Permissions.
5) Re-copy 'Shaders' off the disk manually.
6) Repaired Permissions.
7) Restart OS X.
8) Tried Halo as v1.0.2, Failed.
9) Installed Halo Update to v1.5.2
10) Repaired Permissions.
11) Restart.
12) Tried Halo....

And it did the exact same thing.

I'm officially out of ideas. Any help? I've got a clan game tonight in about an hour and twenty minutes.

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
I was afraid of that.

Does that mean, back up everything and do a fresh install?

We've got 4 users, with about 45GB of data total. I have no External HD.

Is that the only solution?

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Indeed. Bought it off the Apple website shortly after we bought our iMac about 2 years ago...

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Okay, after no hope of any quick fix, I finally re-installed Mac OS X.

After a 40 minute installation, and 2 and a half hours of software updates, Halo is finally running. And a lot of other minor problems non-halo related are finally fixed too.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.