Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perfectadmin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2023
edit: my phones are taking heif photos but whenever i email the photo it is received as a jpeg (opened on win 10 computer). when i plug my iphone into my windows 10 computer windows shows it as a jpeg and the iphone shows as an heif. I assume this is windows doing some sort of conversion but the reason I'm looking at this is b/c occasionally ill receive an heic from someone and am unable to open it on a windows 10 computer. does anyone know why it shows as heif on the phone and jpeg on the computer when i've never use a convertor? But occasionally i'll get an heic file that cant be opened without using a converter program

1685048215870.png

Last edited:

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
Even if you have "High Efficiency" selected, they can be converted to JPEG or PNG on the fly depending on how you're transferring/viewing them. This is determined by the "Transfer to Mac or PC" (Automatic / Keep Originals) option found within settings for Photos.

Importing this media via USB​

When you import HEIF or HEVC media from an attached iOS device into Photos, Image Capture, or a PC, the media might be converted to JPEG or H.264. If you don't want it to be converted, go to Settings > Photos on your iOS device, then scroll down and tap Keep Originals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.