Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ocanalix

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
United States
Say I take a photo on my iPhone 7 in high efficiency format, and then it uploads to iCloud Photo Library… will I be able to view it on my other devices that don't support iOS 11/macOS High Sierra? I'm assuming it'll generate a JPEG preview, but I won't actually be able to view the original file?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Any iOS 11 device can view HEIF files without conversion. It's just that if it's using something less than an A9, it will be software based decode, which uses up more CPU cycles. This increased CPU usage is especially true for Live Photos, since the video is 1080p HEVC.

David Murray

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2017
Europe
But my Mac running Sierra can't open HEIC files, so I don't understand how it's supposed to decode it?
All HEIC files will be converted to JPEG automatically while transferring. Anyway, you can try this app to convert .HEIC files to JPEG or PNG on your Mac that is not supporting HEIC.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Any reason you can’t upgrade to High Sierra? Compatibility with legacy software or something? If your system supports Sierra, it also supports High Sierra.

ocanalix

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 8, 2016
United States
Any reason you can’t upgrade to High Sierra? Compatibility with legacy software or something? If your system supports Sierra, it also supports High Sierra.
Sorry, meant it's running El Cap.

Think I figured it out now, iCloud converts. Took over 4 days to upload my entire library though… painfully slow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.