Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

keramidas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Hello all.

I'm currently running iOS public beta on an iPhone 7 and an iPad Pro 9.7.

Wanted to test out the new HEIF/HEVC formats. A couple of observations and maybe you can help me out here in discovering what I'm missing:

a) In iOS settings, camera, camera formats, while the iPhone has two choices to be made (one for formats transferred to PC or Mac and another one for which format the iPhone will capture in (called camera capture high efficiency vs compatible) the iPad Pro 9.7 has only the former option, i.e. the "format capture" section is missing entirely. ideas?

b) Also, I took two shots with the iPhone 7, one with the camera capture high efficiency setting and one with the camera capture compatible setting. I saw both images on a MacBook Pro running high Sierra public beta, and they are identical.. same size, same extension (jpg).

am I missing something? thanks in advance

keramidas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Hello all.

I'm currently running iOS public beta on an iPhone 7 and an iPad Pro 9.7.

Wanted to test out the new HEIF/HEVC formats. A couple of observations and maybe you can help me out here in discovering what I'm missing:

a) In iOS settings, camera, camera formats, while the iPhone has two choices to be made (one for formats transferred to PC or Mac and another one for which format the iPhone will capture in (called camera capture high efficiency vs compatible) the iPad Pro 9.7 has only the former option, i.e. the "format capture" section is missing entirely. ideas?

b) Also, I took two shots with the iPhone 7, one with the camera capture high efficiency setting and one with the camera capture compatible setting. I saw both images on a MacBook Pro running high Sierra public beta, and they are identical.. same size, same extension (jpg).

am I missing something? thanks in advance

never mind figured it out :)

keramidas

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Probably figured out that both get exported out as JPG lol.

actually they don't. or they don't depending on where you export them to.

I did however run into something else. If you encode a video to H265 and try to add it to Photos for Mac in Sierra it won't accept it.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I did however run into something else. If you encode a video to H265 and try to add it to Photos for Mac in Sierra it won't accept it.
Of course, since Sierra has no native h.265 support. They import fine into Photos in High Sierra though.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
actually they don't. or they don't depending on where you export them to.

In photos, select the photo you know is the new format, click file>export>export in original format. I’m running high Sierra so it may well be a new option in Photos for Mac. That gives me a file identified as the new type (it also gives me the movie file from the Live Photo)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.