Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I read that the iPad Air 2 with an A8X chip can’t use the HEIF photo format however I’ve been using my iPhone 7 to take HEIF photos and I can see them in my iCloud Photo Library and edit them on my iPad Air 2. Does anybody know how this works? Is my iPad viewing / editing a jpeg copy? It definitely appears to allow me to interact with the full size photo on my iPad.

Thanks
Jackson

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
All iOS devices that support iOS 11 have HEIF decode support, your Air 2 will be using the CPU to decode it in software.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
All iOS devices that support iOS 11 have HEIF decode support, your Air 2 will be using the CPU to decode it in software.

I see. So I guess what I read maybe said that processors olde than the A9 don’t have hardware decode support? I don’t really care if my iPad can take images in the HEIF format as I never take photos with my iPad but it sure is nice to edit photos on my iPad via iCloud Photo Library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.