Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rexaerial

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Boston area
Dear MacRumors:Forums community,

Hello: I'm a "new guy" on the board.

Bit of history:

I had a performing/studio career in my twenties. I've had a very different career through my thirties, forties,and (gulp!) fifties. However the music has never been far away in terms of playing, composing, etc. As I approach my 60th birthday, I find myself now having crossed the digital divide, with a regular gig every two weeks that is going very well. So . . . I guess I'm coming out of mothballs!

What occasions my joining this community is that I've decided to record a CD to have available at my regular gig. In the performing lash-up I'm using a P120 through a xenyx 1002fx, an fbq800 equalizer, an EX3200 sound enhancer/exciter, driving a pair of KX1200s in full stereo, with a monitor feed driving two Prime KB-15s that are pointing up towards me from floor level. I have given the sound reinforcement a lot of thought, and couldn't be happier with what I have going.

The recording lash-up is yet to be finalized, but, given that I already have "my sound," I figure it doesn't have to be fancy.

I'm limited, for the forseeable future, to using a G3 iBook at 900Mhz running OS 10.3.9. I'm considering purchasing a Presonus Firebox for the interface, but note that it is specified as being compatible with a G4 running OS 10.4.7.

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there with experience using the Presonus Firebox with a G3/10.3.9?

I'm glad to be on board, and would welcome any available assistance.

Yours, very truly

Stephen Merriman ("Rexaerial")
http://www.fourriverscounseling.com

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
if the box requires tiger, it's probably because of something in coreaudio that's not in panther. but, it's worth a call or email to presonus to see if they have a workaround or advice. i've found their tech support to be good.

good luck.

spinymurex

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2006
looking for info

Hi! stumbled into this forum looking for the answer to a very particular question.

Have a friend who's considering buying a xenyx 1002fx for use with his pc. He gave me a copy of the manual pdf and says "will it do what I want?"... mostly what he wants is just to record vocals with a cue on the headphones saturated with reverb (+ the backing track of course...) and record the vocals dry for later processing.

Ideally he wants stereo cue with stereo fx on his vocals and record dry in cubase.

Looked through the manual and I think it's just send the cue to control room leaving dry vocals on the mix but... can't always understand "manual language" without the piece of equipment in front of me to play with... and I've used a couple of older but similar level behringer mixers in this kind of context, one of which did the job fine (though the cue came out mono), and the other couldn't manage it 'cos you had to return the send through the line-in channels and so the effect went into the mix.

Does this particular piece of kit work the way I'm thinking it does... or would he be wasting his money?

PS: I'm a mid fifty-ish-er with a history too - appreciate your situation!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.