Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nwrealestate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
New to OSX
I am trying to set up my pop account in OS10.4 when i select the mail application i cannot go to preferences it's not highlighted also cannot go to my help folder. it's there but not turned on???? thank you

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
So when you're in Mail, the shortcuts APPLE-COMMA (preferences) and APPLE-QUESTION MARK (help) do nothing? Are you the only account on this computer? Are you the Administrator account? Maybe repair permissions from your Disk utility in the Utilities folder. :)

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
The first time you run mail.app a pop up window normally appears guiding you through the set up process, maybe this is what is preventing you from accessing the preferences...?

nwrealestate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
mail.app

mail.app do you mean select the maill application and this window should appear to start set up. Nothing like that has happen, wish it would so I could set up.

munkle said:
The first time you run mail.app a pop up window normally appears guiding you through the set up process, maybe this is what is preventing you from accessing the preferences...?

nwrealestate

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
more on my email setup

Right on the mail, pref. and help. They are not available. I have networked this computer with my older one for internet access, printer and hard drive access. I haven't set any mail accounts up yett on this computer. Would like to check my email from both computers and also set up additional accounts on this newer computer. I'm the only one on this computer and I have a password so guess that means I'm the administrator? Also tried the disk utility and ran just the verify which founds a couple things (didn't seem to affect my mail acccount) and said it fixed them although I did not insert my startup CD and run the repair. Thank you for taking the time and trying to help me!

mad jew said:
So when you're in Mail, the shortcuts APPLE-COMMA (preferences) and APPLE-QUESTION MARK (help) do nothing? Are you the only account on this computer? Are you the Administrator account? Maybe repair permissions from your Disk utility in the Utilities folder. :)

L

Lau

Try dragging the "com.apple.mail.plist" file out of your Library/Preferences folder. If you drag it onto the desktop, log out or restart then relaunch Mail.app it will create a new one, which will hopefully give you setup options. If not, you can always drop the old file back in the Preferences folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.