Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rocknrollchef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Hello: I'm new here and didn't see this exact topic so here we go:

I feel the "need for speed" with video editing/rendering and want to find something newer - but not new. FYI I produce cooking and music videos with Premier CS6, often with 5 - 7 video layers plus 4 layers of audio.

In particular, I want to KEEP using my current software (CS6/Premier and Logic X), which I'm told does not work with the M1 processor (is that right?)

So it's coming down to an iMac, Mac Mini or Mac Pro (trashcan?), and the iMac and Mac Pro I think top out at 128GB ram? And the Mac Mini maxes out 64GB ram.

Okay please let let know your thoughts/suggestions, or even if you buy/sell Mac gear.

thank you!

chef

Last edited:

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
What is your latest system specs? My 2012 quad-core i7 Mac Mini with 16 GB of RAM and a 960 GB SSD edits video really well, especially 1080 HD, though it handled a 4K project I tried out last year just fine. Of course, these are mostly in the very recent versions of iMovie, Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro CC. Besides, CS6 doesn't work on Mac OS 11 Big Sur, so that indeed rules out the M1 Macs. But I DO have an external boot drive with Mac OS 10.11 El Capitan that I sometimes boot into on my Mac Mini for running older applications and such.

There are guides online for which Macs support which versions of the Mac OS that may be able to help.

rocknrollchef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Dandeco - this was very helpful, thank you. Attached are the specs from my 2014 Macbook, it's not great for video editing - is it more the processing speed or the RAM that limits the speed? So if I get a 128GB Ram mac mini or Powermac that's has one of their newest Intel processors - should that be enough to saw through video footage, FX etc? Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 9.39.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-02 at 9.39.38 AM.png
    213.4 KB · Views: 96

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
128GB RAM might not help that much in a video editing environment.
What about storing the video on an external USB 3 SSD?

I have a 32 GB RAM i7 Mac mini (2018 model) and it worked the same as an 8 GB M1 Mac mini when it comes to scrubbing through footage and effects. I have the 16GB RAM model now due to me having lots of applications open at once though while editing. Bad habit maybe, but my workflow fits me.
I use FCP X though.

Have you ever thought of giving FCP (X) a try or three (it takes some time to get used to the non track based nature, but once done, you hardly can go back to the older system), since it will be updated for the foreseeable future and runs on all modern Macs?

rocknrollchef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
1. Used to use FCP, hated when it changed - never again.
2. How does using an external HD to store video make editing faster exactly?
3. You're saying a 16GB RAM mac mini is no faster for editing vs a 32GM RAM? I'm very confused at this point.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
1. Used to use FCP, hated when it changed - never again.
2. How does using an external HD to store video make editing faster exactly?
3. You're saying a 16GB RAM mac mini is no faster for editing vs a 32GM RAM? I'm very confused at this point.
1. I come from Avid Media Composer and Premiere Pro to FCP (X). I like the newer workflow that is based on files and not tapes and reels. It takes some getting used to though.

2. The internal HDD or SSD is used for the OS and the application and cache data. If you have enough storage space on the internal SSD that 50 GB are free at all times, you can edit with footage on an internal SSD. If the internal storage device is an HDD, it is recommended to use an external HDD, as HDDs are ten to 100 times slower in sequential and random read/write activities than SSDs.

3. I meant to say, I see no difference in editing speed for my editing habits (travel videos with four to six cameras and up to six layers) between a 32GB i7 Mac mini and a 16GB M1 Mac mini, though the M1 Mac mini is faster during rendering.

rocknrollchef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
I'm understanding some of this (thank you). Would love to see your content too - the day is coming when I'll want to find someone else to edit hah. FYI I produce cooking videos that often have 5 - 7 layers (footage plus photos/graphics), plus 4 layers of audio.

Last edited:

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
1. I come from Avid Media Composer and Premiere Pro to FCP (X). I like the newer workflow that is based on files and not tapes and reels. It takes some getting used to though.
Yeah, I've noticed that nowadays Final Cut Pro (X) can do just about everything Premiere Pro CC can do, albeit with a different workflow and with the aid of Compressor and Motion (the latter also having similarities to After Effects). Also, on the Mac the latest versions of Premiere Pro won't capture from DV sources, only HDV (whereas FCP can still capture from DV for if you want to archive and edit older MiniDV tapes.)

rocknrollchef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
As I recall, one thing I really hated about when they launched FCP X - you couldn't open older FCP files!?!?! wtf

Although in fairness... Apple seems to do that with older software not working with newer versions of their OS

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
As I recall, one thing I really hated about when they launched FCP X - you couldn't open older FCP files!?!?! wtf

Although in fairness... Apple seems to do that with older software not working with newer versions of their OS
That is because of the different approach to how data is stored within FCP (X) and FCP Classic.
There was a third party application, SendToX, that helped converting projects from FCP Classic to FCP (X): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208054

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.