Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robert Ros

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Australia
Hi guys,
I have had the same problem reported elsewhere in this forum since I got my new 15" HiRes Powerbook in Dec 2005:
upgrading the standard 512 MB RAM with non Apple RAM produces random freezes.
Apple checked the pb, they confirmed the freezes, thought it could only be a faulty logic board, Apple exchanged the pb for a new one, I ordered another GB of RAM from APlus, it freezes. I returned the RAM to my dealer, he sent me another module, this time from Nanya, same happened again. Next, I ordered genuine Kensington RAM, same thing.
The pb runs fine if I have only the original 512 MB genuine Apple/Hitachi module installed.

Let me point out,
1) that I encounter these freezes even if nothing else except OS X (10.4.x) has been installed;
2) Hardware test does not report a faulty RAM despite the freezes
3) I can reproduce the freezes very easily;

Apple Tech Support was absolutely clueless and useless.

I would be very, very grateful if someone could give me a hint how to rectify the problem.

Robert Ros, Ph. D.

pr34dy

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
Hello

Me and a friend of mine are encountering the same problem with the HiRes 1.67 Ghz powerbooks. We bought a 1gb ramstick and put it into the upper slot first, with leaving the standard 512 stick as it was.
The Powerbook keeps freezing after a bit of work on the Computer, its not periodically, it can be twice in an hour, or once every 2 days. Fact is, we cannot work with such a machine.
The logs dont display any clue. We both changed our logic board. I've changed my ram once (other manufactor now) and my friend changed it twice. Still no change if things. Still freezes.

We now try to change the ram stick slots, 1gb in upper alone crashes, 1gb in upper and 512 in lower crashes. We'll try the other configurations too.

Does anyone have a clue to this or is having the same problem??

Like you said, tech support is totally useless with this problem.

You're not able to work on a machine that freezes every day.

Pred

adrian-cg

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2005
Well, sounds like your RAM is not entirely compatible with your PB. Return it and buy from someone who guarantees mac compatibility, like Crucial. There's this other site CanadaRAM always suggest but I forgot the name.

exeterbohemian

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
brooklyn
Robert Ros said:
1) that I encounter these freezes even if nothing else except OS X (10.4.x) has been installed;
2) Hardware test does not report a faulty RAM despite the freezes
3) I can reproduce the freezes very easily;

1) freezes (i assume you mean kernel panics?) are almost always hardware-related, so that's not surprising.

2) ram can be 'glitchy' without necessarily being recognized as defective by any hadware test. if your ram is completely shot, the computer would simply beep and refuse to start whever you tried to turn it on.

3) how, exactly?

Robert Ros

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Australia
pr34dy said:
Hello

Me and a friend of mine are encountering the same problem with the HiRes 1.67 Ghz powerbooks. We bought a 1gb ramstick and put it into the upper slot first, with leaving the standard 512 stick as it was.
The Powerbook keeps freezing after a bit of work on the Computer, its not periodically, it can be twice in an hour, or once every 2 days. Fact is, we cannot work with such a machine.
The logs dont display any clue. We both changed our logic board. I've changed my ram once (other manufactor now) and my friend changed it twice. Still no change if things. Still freezes.

We now try to change the ram stick slots, 1gb in upper alone crashes, 1gb in upper and 512 in lower crashes. We'll try the other configurations too.

Does anyone have a clue to this or is having the same problem??

Like you said, tech support is totally useless with this problem.

You're not able to work on a machine that freezes every day.

Pred

Although I had sworn to myself that I would never ever again post on Apple Talk because of the pubescent behaviour of some of the admins I cannot watch you suffering.
It has taken me about 5 months to resolve the issue and as I said Apple Support has been absolutely useless and clueless, even replacing my Powerbook when they were at the end of their tether.
Anyway, I have now installed a 1 GB (genuine Kingston labeled and sealed) that I purchased from http://www.ramcity.com.au.
This was the fifth (!!!) module I tested.
I can wholeheartedly recommend that supplier, they are very knowledgeable, returning a RAM module to them and getting a replacement back took just a week, they have been very polite and they patiently answered all of my close to 20 emails.
On the technical side, make sure you get compatible RAM, not generic RAM (Aplus, Nanya etc.). 1 GB Kingston cost you $ 275, it is designed for that Powerbook, it supports "bus slewing", it is sealed, and it has a lifetime warranty.
Make sure you pernickety follow these steps, this RAM is very (!) sensitive, in particular:
1) shut down your pb
2) let it cool down for 30 minutes
3) remove the battery (!)
4) discharge your body
5) grab the module at its edges when you install the module

Let me now how you fare.
regards,

Robert Ros

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2006
Australia
exeterbohemian said:
1) freezes (i assume you mean kernel panics?) are almost always hardware-related, so that's not surprising.
2) ram can be 'glitchy' without necessarily being recognized as defective by any hadware test.
if your ram is completely shot, the computer would simply beep and refuse to start whever you tried to turn it on.

3) how, exactly?

"freezes" meaning the powerbook does not respond anymore, the cursor is frozen, no "kernel panic "message from system.
As for the rest, see my post of today.

regards,
Robert Ros, Ph.D.

drj434343

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2006
Portland, OR
I agree...

I concur with the Kensington post, although my good experience has been with Crucial. When I first bought my hi-res Powerbook, I tried two different 1 GB chips, both with the same problems you're describing. Random complete freezes, no system response. Running RAM checks didn't yield any errors. It was maddening.

Finally I broke down and spent the extra money on a Crucial 1 GB chip made especially for the Powerbook. I've had no problems since then, and I'm convinced cheap RAM is asking for trouble in Apple laptops.

Pressure

macrumors 603
May 30, 2006
Denmark
I bought a Kingston KTA-MB667/1G module, even though it were a bit more expensive it is guaranteed to work with the MacBook Pro.

No problems or anything.

pr34dy

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
Hi again!

We were in the store again where we bought the ram. After explaining our problem for the seventh time and argueing with the tech-supporter, he gave us another RAM module. One thats supposed to be in a intel MacBookPro from Samsung. Well, hope that doesnt crash our Pb's even more.
But he said that it has the same specifications like the older RAM modules.
At least we were guaranteed to get our money back , if the RAM still doesnt function like it should. I'm still not really comfortable with having an intel-mac ram inside a Pb. the good thing is, we still have guarantee on our Pb's.
Thanks for the suggestions! If it still fails, we're going to try the Kingston module or one from crucial.

Cya

Pr3d

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the MBP uses very different RAM than any G4. I don't see that working...

Crucial has always been flawless for me. They do cost more, but it damn sure works properly.

pr34dy

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2006
hope the supporter was right and they really run in pb's too. I'm am a little bit suspicious anyway, my pb says its PC-3200 and on the cover of the package it says PC-5300 RAM. don't know exactly what I am dealing with here, but at least my pb didnt freeze for 3 days now. New record.... :-/

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
To the OP: The memory you have gotten is not compatible with your machine. Return it, if you still can, and buy from a place that guarantees compatibility, like Crucial (link at top of page), OWC, or http://www.datamem.com.

I had the same problems. Not all RAM is manufactured to the same specifications. One problem in particular was that the cheap RAM I bought did not support the sleep mode that it needed to. I was having wake-from-sleep issues very often. Thats just one example. Just buy some RAM from one of the places i mentioned above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.