Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdad2

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
I'm not sure anymore
Is anyone else using Logic with their 1.67 17" powerbook? I'm having no luck getting digital audio into Logic! The audio is getting into the computer itelf just fine. I can watch the meters bounce in system preferences - it even works fine in garageband 2 but not Logic Pro! I'm new to Logic, but not digital audio, and I've checked every setting I can find in the software - the clocks are synced, sample rates match etc etc.

btw. here's what happens when I open Logic after configuring the inputs. Logic even sees the digital inputs when running the Setup Assistant but then...

I get a warning box that says "The previously selected audio interface is not available. The built-in audio inputs and outputs will be used instead for this session". the program then defauts back to the analog inputs! anyone? HELP!

edit:
wintermute - any ideas? I can't find any concrete info on this anywhere though I have found that it has happened to others. :(

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I'm trying to track someone at the Uni whose got the 17" with an optical input, mines a rev A and has no digital audio inputs as standard.

I'll get back to you if I can find a solution (or indeed a PowerBook).

macdad2

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
I'm not sure anymore
OK - problem solved - or at least worked around. If anyone else has this issue opefully they will happen across this thread - here's the solution.

But first - Here's the actual problem (quoted from Audio/MIDI setup - Tiger 10.4.1)

Logic Pro and Logic Express cannot access the digital input on certain computers. The affected systems will list the digital input as a separate device in Audio MIDI Setup. To check your system, follow these steps:

Open Audio MIDI Setup (located in /Applications/Utilities).
Click the Audio Devices tab.
Open the Default Input pop-up menu.
If your system shows more than one built-in input source, it will be affected by this issue.

Logic cannot access devices that offer only an input, and therefore cannot use the digital input. On systems with Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you can work around the issue by creating an aggregate device that uses the I/O from both available audio devices on your system.

Detailed steps for creating an aggregate device are available in Audio/MIDI Setup. Open help and search for "aggregate". Read the support article and follow the steps. Works like a charm but man was it tough to find a solution. I hope this post is helpful to others with this configuration.

peace
:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.