Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

magentawave

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
I always put my Macbook Pro 17 to sleep when I'm not using it and unplug the magsafe power adapter then too. A couple weeks ago I opened the lid and clicked "Return" to login and nothing happened. The light in the front wasn't pulsing like it does when the computer is sleeping. I assumed the old battery had finally died so I replaced it with a new one and the computer started right up as usual.

Earlier this week the same thing I described above happened again so this time I did an SMC Reset (Unplug power > Pull battery out > Press power and hold for 5 seconds > Put battery back and plug in power adapter > Start). It had been a very long time since I had done an SMC Reset and the computer was working perfectly when I started it so I went on with my work.

Today, just 3 or 4 days after the SMC Reset, I tried to start it again and was faced with the exact same situation. I did an SMC Reset again and was able to start the computer immediately and it's working perfectly. I noticed that the battery was NOT discharged much after I started it even though I had been away from the computer for about 7 hours - and it charged up to 100% like normal. I rely on this computer for my work so I'm beginning to get concerned. :Confused:

QUESTION:

Can someone please tell me why this is happening?

Thank you.

NOTE: This is an early 2008 (A1261) Macbook Pro 17 running OSX 10.9.5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.