Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandonb59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
So I accidentally deleted the recovery partion from my Mac. I cannot access internet recovery nor can I boot from a usb device. I have seen people having similar problems and a couple had supposedly manage to through it. But they never said how either. Please help!! I have a 2018 15”MacBook Pro.

Boomer5100

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2016
If you are getting the 9000f error when it tries Internet Recovery and can't boot from a usb installer, you will most likely need Genius help at the store. I'm assuming you have your Security Utility setting checked that won't allow booting from external devices. Since you can't get to recovery and change this, you are probably out of luck. If you have a Time Machine backup you could try plugging that in and holding the option key. If it lets you choose that drive, you may be back in business.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Are you saying that "command-OPTION-R" at boot won't work?
(the reason I'm asking is that many users confuse "the recovery partition" [command-R] with "internet recovery")

If internet recovery won't boot it, I agree with reply 2.
Take it to an Apple Store genius bar.

If they get it running again, BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE GENIUS BAR, I would advise you to ask for their assistance to go into the recovery partition and DISABLE the "Startup Security" protections there.

brandonb59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
Dang, so I really screwed it up then. Nearest Apple store is 70 miles. This is going to be interesting. Nothing will work. Command-option-R or shift-Command-Option-R doesn’t work. It’s doesn’t respond to target disk mode, verbose mode, single user, etc... and yes I had secure boot on as well, disallowed external media from booting and that would probably help if I had turned it off. Would you think a Best Buy could help? I bought it from Apple online store though. I guess I’m out of luck.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Put some gas in the car and take it to the Apple Store.
That's probably "the best way to go" at this point.

brandonb59

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2019
This is what it says now.

Attachments

• 155CE213-28BF-47EB-A8B3-582047B2210C.jpeg
    155CE213-28BF-47EB-A8B3-582047B2210C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 234

Boomer5100

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2016
This is what it says now.
Once you manage to get into the recovery partition, I agree with Fisherman...disable everything in Security Utility. I recently received a 2019 13" MBP and the very first thing I did was cmd-r and disable everything in Security Utility. Leaving it activated is a sure way to eventually get yourself locked out of your computer and force a drive to the local Apple Store.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.