Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyMan_DK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 25, 2021
Long story short: My dad used to own a Macintosh SE back in the day and, while not a gamer as such, he had a lot of fun with a few titles.

Fast-forward to this Christmas, where I spent quite a bit of time preparing a USB with (I thought) all he needed to emulate said games on his current iMac: the games, an unpacker and an emulator.

Yeah, right.

After spending the better part of Christmas Day trying to get the thing to work, I had to give up. Even downloaded two other emulators, but none of them got any results. I'm usually a PC kinda guy, so I have no idea what I did wrong - I just could't get anthing to play.

I'd still *really* love to surprise my dad with some games from his youth, and I've realised that I need help from actual pros in this regard.

The games I'd most like to get to work are (all on Macintosh SE):

* Crystal Quest
* Cannon Fodder
* Let's Get Tanked
* Bug Hunt
* Lode Runner
* Scarab of Ra
* Shufflepuck
* Spectre (as .BIN)
* StuntCopter
* Centipede
* Hot Air Balloon
* Dubbelmoral
* Bird Race

I have all of the above as .SIT files (which should work, although they're currently sitting on my PC hard drive), and my dad's current Mac is a:

iMac (Retina 4K from 2017)
3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5)
16 GB DDR4
Radeon Pro 555 2 GB

Is there any chance at all that someone could take me by the hand and tell/show me *exactly* what I need to do, to get the above games running on my dad's Mac?

As I said, I simply don't have the know-how to make it happen myself, so I would hugely appreciate any help (and so will my dad, I promise you).

Regards

Andreas

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Honestly, I'd have a look on eBay for something like an actual Mac from the day. Probably not an SE perhaps, but there are LC and Performa models that aren't quite so collectible and - for me at least - would be way more the thing than emulation, which doesn't really ever seem so good to me.

Bruninho

Suspended
Mar 12, 2021
Go for SheepShaver or Mini vMac. Both are quite reliable. You'll find much more documentation on e-maculation forums. There is also a Mini vMac version for iOS somewhere.

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I personally think Mini vMac is the easier way to provide someone with and "instant" 68k-emulator.
(Did this for an old lady, who gifted me her old Macintosh and put her files onto a small mini-vMac with runtimes for PPC, OSX and Windows)
There's even an option for color-display and a lot of stuff for 68k machines on Macintoshgarden.
The only tricky thing is, how to open your .sit-files within the mini-vMac: you have to create an virtual floppy and mount it on PPC-OSX-Mac (intel-OSX didn 't worked for me for this purpose) or os9. Then open the floppy within the mini-vMac by just drag&drop the floppy-file onto the mini-vMac window. (The virtual floppy needs to be renamed temporarily, when it is to be mounted within PPC-OSX. Ha, I allway need to relearn the process, whenever I tinker with the mini-vMac.
You can find virtual-disks of any size here: "Blanks" at the "Extras" section of gryphel.com
You may send me a PN and I can send you that "instant" color-version ... (it's based on the template from gryphel.com)

Attachments

• mini-vMac SystemFiles.png
    mini-vMac SystemFiles.png
    118.7 KB · Views: 125
  • instant color mini-vMac.png
    instant color mini-vMac.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 157
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.