Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
I'm not sure if this is an issue with High Sierra, macOS, or my work's servers and stuff. Previously, I was able to add our Exchange account just using my work's username and password. I THINK I maybe had to add webmail.xxx.com (xxx is a place holder for the company's name, and it's a safe industry) and it would work fine.

Now when I try to add it, I get the error "Unable to verify account name or password." and I get the option to add Username, Internal URL, and External URL. When I put in my username, and try webmail.xxx.com in the URL fields, it will add the account but nothing is downloading. Mail shows the Exchange account and Inbox folder, but that's it.

I just tried using outlook.office.com (the website I sign in with through work) and it still added the account but Mail is giving me the error "Connections to host outlook.office.com on the default ports failed."

I've tried looking through our documents and there are no direction on how to do this. We have probably thousands of employees that have access to add their accounts like this but I'm sure very few use Macs.

Is this just a limitation on the older High Sierra?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Is the Exchange mail hosted by an online service (such as Office 365 or other hosted Exchange) or does your company run its own servers?

Is there a way I can tell by just going to the site? I’m pretty sure we don’t run our own servers though.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
It looks like it's Proofpoint.

I'm planning to meet up with a friend in a couple of weeks that is running the latest version of macOS. I'll try adding it in to see if it works. I want to say I did this already when I reset her Mac but can't remember.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
It looks to me like Proofpoint is an extra security layer for Office 365…but there may be more to it than that.

You're probably going to have to get help from your company's IT folks.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
It looks to me like Proofpoint is an extra security layer for Office 365…but there may be more to it than that.

You're probably going to have to get help from your company's IT folks.

Thanks.

I don’t think they’ll be able to help. I’m not high enough up on the food chain. I’ll try my friend’s Mac running whatever the latest version is of macOS. I have a feeling it’s just High Sierra is too old or not supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.