Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2005
I'm trying to do what is described here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108064

But no basestation shows up in the list. It's just empty. I don't have any airport equipped computers so the setup assistant won't work. (I'm going to use the AirPort Express just for my Wii for the time beeing - until I buy a MacBook)

My network looks like this:

Internet (socket in wall - like a dorm except this is an apartmentbuilding) ---> Switch
---> PC
---> Mac
---> AirPort Express

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So you're sure you're using the correct utility, yes?

And the computer you're trying to connect with and the Airport Express are both physically connected to LAN ports on the same switch?

It might be you have a lot of interference. Move the Airport as close as you can to the computer...

captan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2005
I don't know how - but changing the Ethernet cable and resetting the AirPort Extreme several times solved the problem...

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
just fyi, the utility to configure any apple basestation or express on xp is horrible and doesn't always get what you want. using the utility on the mac is so much easier. I think the tool was design to purposely be clumpsy. it was does work, just not well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.