Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghorkov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Australia
HELP! Always falling to restore loop or apple logo loop or pineapple loop

My goal was to unlock my iphone 3g (iOS 4.2.1) to use it in Australia (from Mexico)

So I used redSn0w to upgrade the baseband to the ipad 6.15 so I could unlock it. I used the steps in [http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12947] but only selecting Install iPad baseband (by selecting other options redSn0w didn't download the iPad baseband). After redSnow was finished the apple logo came out and never changed. So I restore it to the 4.2.1 version and then I couldn't get out of the restore loop (itunes error: 1015). After that I restored a million times and every time it was the same so I tried iRecovery commands (setenv auto-boot true, saveenv) from here [https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/894207/] to get out of the loop but they never worked (tried 10 times).

I can't do the "normal" jailbrake again because the iPhone never reboots in redSn0w.

After that I used redSn0w deactivate option (don't know what that is) and it looked like it was doing a regular jailbrake but ended with the never-change apple logo.

Then I tried the tethered boot with redSn0w, but ended with the never-change pineapple logo.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011

My goal was to unlock my iphone 3g (iOS 4.2.1) to use it in Australia (from Mexico)

So I used redSn0w to upgrade the baseband to the ipad 6.15 so I could unlock it. I used the steps in [http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12947] but only selecting Install iPad baseband (by selecting other options redSn0w didn't download the iPad baseband). After redSnow was finished the apple logo came out and never changed. So I restore it to the 4.2.1 version and then I couldn't get out of the restore loop (itunes error: 1015). After that I restored a million times and every time it was the same so I tried iRecovery commands (setenv auto-boot true, saveenv) from here [https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/894207/] to get out of the loop but they never worked (tried 10 times).

I can't do the "normal" jailbrake again because the iPhone never reboots in redSn0w.

After that I used redSn0w deactivate option (don't know what that is) and it looked like it was doing a regular jailbrake but ended with the never-change apple logo.

Then I tried the tethered boot with redSn0w, but ended with the never-change pineapple logo.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

I do not have any experience using the iPad baseband (I think it's a horrible idea, but to each his own) but I am almost certain that when you updated it to 6.15.00 you were stuck having to use custom firmware when restoring. I believe that is why you are stuck in a boot loop.

Can someone more familiar verify?

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
Texas

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

Upgrading your baseband is a terrible idea. Now if you ever break it and want to take it to the Apple store, they will know immediately that you tampered with iOS and jailbreak. Nice. Warranty voided. Anyways try downloading a program called rec reboot. If it still won't won't download a program called Sn0wbreeze. You will have to use custom firmwares that will ACCEPT your iPhone 3G with iPad baseband.

Trying to boot tethered was a very ignorant thing, that could have ruined your phone.

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
Texas

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

When I say warranty voided I mean Apple could refuse to fix your phone even for lots of $. Or they could want outrageous amounts like $400-600 dollars.

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
since you have an ipad baseband on your phone, you can't restore to Apple official firmware. Here what you need to do;

1. Search for customs 4.2.1 firmware for 3G or create by using pwnage tool or sn0wbreeze.
2. Put your phone in DFU mode and restore it with this customs firmware.
3. use redsn0w to jailbreak it.
4. Install ultrasn0w 1.2.3 from Cydia to unlock it.

iFiend

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2011
since you have an ipad baseband on your phone, you can't restore to Apple official firmware. Here what you need to do;

1. Search for customs 4.2.1 firmware for 3G or create by using pwnage tool or sn0wbreeze.

That is what I thought (again, wasn't positive about the custom firmware thing since I would never do that).

Thanks for verifying, Crystal-RX

ghorkov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Australia

Thanks a lot (Crystal-RX, iFiend, Vampire5003), I'm gonna do it right away and I'll tell you about it...

Last edited:

ghorkov

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Australia

THANK YOU GUYS PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

I did it exactly as you said. iPhone 3g (telcel to lycamobile) UNLOCKED!!!

disinfectantrum

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2011

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

I just recovered from the same issue on my 3GS running 4.3.3. Took me a day to figure out and was quite frustrating but here's the fix (for me at least, some results may vary. LOL. Always wanted to say that). Keep in mind that although this worked out for me, and I am very familiar with the jailbreak process, I AM NOT AN IPHONE GURU. Also, keep in mind that I have managed to do things with my iPhone other admins have said was impossible, such as restoring to stock firmware after updating BB to 06.15.00, although it was 2 versions behind the custom version I had loaded previously (was on custom 4.2.1 and downgraded back to stock 4.1) I would highly recommend that you first verify whether or not you have any SHSH blobs saved, as the first time I attempted this the original computer using TinyUmbrella advised me I had no SHSH blobs saved, but when I attempted this using a different computer it advised me that not only did I have SHSH blobs for 4.3.3 but for 4.1 as well. Im fairly certain this is why it finally worked.

1. Clear your host file. You can try both ways if you would like. Shouldnt hurt your phone but this process did not work for me until I had wiped my host file clean and allowed TinyUmbrella to edit it itself by launching the program. You must also run TinyUmbrella in Admin.

2. If TinyUmbrella has any activated "Fix Recovery" (this is probably the case), click this, or alternately (this way worked better for me) is download fixrecovery 4.x and run it through. This will not appear to do anything but if done correctly iTunes should be the only thing appearing to recognize the device. The open up Redsn0w and choose to "Just boot tethered now". If the process detects you already in DFU mode, this will most likely not work properly. In my instance at least. If it detects you already in DFU mode, try variations of the these steps until it does not. It is difficult to give exact instructions without knowing the status of your device at the starting point.

3. Once you can get the Redsn0w to progress through the DFU process and boot tethered, the rest should be relatively simple. Open a TSS server on TinyUmbrella, cook a custom IPSW with Sn0wbreeze, and restore to cooked IPSW. If unsuccessful, make sure you are running everything in Admin mode and disable all security software or anything commandeering any open ports and try again. Ideally, in this situation as long as you can get your phone to boot tethered, you can do the same steps to put your phone in DFU mode while your phone is on. Make sure when you do that you are using iReb to put in Pwned DFU. Let me know how it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.