Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdesign7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Chicago, IL
So I picked up a 5.1 speaker system for a good deal, thinking it'd be nice to throw onto a G4 sawtooth I'm slowly turning into a media center. I obviously don't know what I'm doing, since when I opened the box, I noticed the connectors were not a simple plug into the headphone jack kind of deal, but a four plug (headphone jack looking plugs) contraption. The speakers are the Gateway GMAX 5100 series, and the computer is a 400mhz Sawtooth. How do I get these two to play nice together? I've found the m-audio PCI cards, but they say they need at least 733/800 mhz for multi-channel (I assume multi-channel is surround sound, right?). I was planning on upgrading the processor later, will I need to do that in order to make this work, or are there other options, such as USB or Firewire, uh, receivers (no idea if that's the right term, but you know what I mean)? Thanks in advance!

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
hate to say this...

but in the M-Audio literature, it says that CPU accelerator cards are not supported. So it appears that even if you upgrade the CPU, the surround-sound features of your speakers may not be supported. They should work just fine for stereo though...

bdesign7

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2005
Chicago, IL
Grrr...I missed that part of the literature. That kinda stinks. I'm pretty much out of luck for the speakers then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.