Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2021
Hello dear community!

Your help has been great when months ago I had to purchase a tablet for work.
Now I want to hear your thoughts about M1 MacBooks.

I have a MacBook Air 2013 (8GB RAM, 128 SSD), bought in 2014. It was revolutionary, and I still love it. My MacBook still works great: I work with basic Office (Word, Excel and Power Point, although with big files), mail, web browsing. I'm a PhD candidate, so I type a lot. When at home, I plug in a 10 year monitor (still VGA), and that's my desk!
However, I fear the lack of major OS upgrades for security reasons. The promise of speed increase and powerful battery life also made their point.

So my question is: would you recommend M1 2020 MacBook Pro or Air? Is the Touch Bar a good tool for Office users? Do you feel comfortable writing in the MB Pro? Would I feel a major impact by replacing a 9 year model by M1?

Thank you!
Rafael

Last edited:

RaphaZ

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2021
Why not a new m2 Macbook Air?
It's a bit expensive here in Europe, 1500 euros! And we don't know yet if the stock will match market needs for the following months. MacBooks M1 seem a good offer, counting with some sort of little discount.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.