Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greatm31

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2001
I'm really worried about my powerbook because somehow there appears to be an ant colony inside it. I just noticed this the other day when ants started crawling all over it, coming from the keyboard and fan area. I don't know what to do!! I'm totally serious about this, and I'm really afraid the whole thing is going to explode if they start chewing on important parts. Any suggestions??

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
I've heard of bugs in hardware before, but this is ridiculous.

Anyway, this seems to be a big of an odd situation. Perhaps powering down, taking out the battery, then using a little RAID on it? And by that, I don't mean insuring data integrity. I'm not sure of the ramifications of that, though. Maybe an any trap near the PB?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
LOL. You'll need to entice them out with something. Not quite sure what though. Maybe one of those jam and water in a jar traps? :confused:

dmurray14

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2005
Oh man! That's a new one, for sure. Did you maybe spill something on/into the keyboard that they'd be interested in? I can't imagine they would TRY to get inside it, but who knows!

Dan

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Take out your battery and smooge a little ant-killing gel on the back side (you can get this at the hardware store). The ants eat it, take it back to the queen and feed it to her, stopping the life cycle. If they are indeed inside of your machine, this will stop them form multiplying.

greatm31

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 19, 2001
there's some, uh, sauce, that landed at the edge of the fan area, but very little. i never would have though it could cause something like this. i'd take this thing apart myself but i'm not particularly good at that sort of thing. should i take it to the apple store? will they void my warranty?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
greatm31 said:
there's some, uh, sauce, that landed at the edge of the fan area, but very little. i never would have though it could cause something like this. i'd take this thing apart myself but i'm not particularly good at that sort of thing. should i take it to the apple store? will they void my warranty?

That's it then.

I wouldn't take it apart, just clean it up best you can and then use the gel outside ofthe PowerBook (on a desk or something) to keep the colony from coming back.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
You should take your PowerBook to get serviced professionaly. What are you waiting for? Stop reading this!! Go now!!! Run!!!!!! (don't trip :cool: )

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
If you have ants in your computer, you have a problem in your house. If you're reluctant to use poison or to spray toxic substances around where you work, follow the trail back to where they're entering your house, and sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon at the entry point. They won't come back ... that route, anyway. They'll find another way in, but just repeat the above.

A small jar of cinnamon costs pennies and would last you a couple of years. And if you're concerned about the important role that ants play in the ecosystem (I'm not trying to push an agenda, just pointing out one issue that might be of concern to some) you won't be killing a colony.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
If you're ok with just leaving sauce that spills on the side of your beautiful PowerBook, I'm guessing the rest of your work area/room is not in the best condition?

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
QCassidy352 said:
turn it off and put it in the refrigerator? Freeze em out! :D
Wrap it in a ziplock baggie first, just so they don't end up dead all over your refrigerator.

topgunn

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2004
Houston
Also see this thread which is a similar problem with an iMac. Or this thread that references a Slashdot story where an iBook becomes infested. Here is another.

Ants do millions of dollars worth of damage to electrical equipment every year in Texas alone. The quote below was taken from this article.
A Texas study found the ants damage equipment such as airport landing lights, churches, nurseries, sod producers, golf courses, commercial businesses, electric communications, homes, cars, trucks, and even cemeteries.

The hum of electrical equipment is like a love song for these ants. Dr. Drees says that the cold-blooded animals are attracted to the extra warmth that utility housings and other electrical devices give off during winter. The ants seek the shelter of these places during heavy rains. But their mere presence is destructive. The ants bring nesting soil, which has a corrosive effect on wires and switches. The ants chew on insulation, causing short circuits and switch failures. Even worse, ants which are electrocuted in the process of chewing on wires can cause a lemming-like effect. The dead ants release a pheromone that attracts other worker ants. The bodies of dead ants pile up and jam the switching mechanisms and muck up the wiring.

Fleetwood Mac

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2006
Canada
Don't freeze the machine!!! The battery has distiled water inside, and freezing causes things to contract quite generally. Your machine could crack right up.

Edit: I didn't even mention the screen, which wouldn't last half an hour.......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.