Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
I was browsing some apps in the App Store and I accidentally clicked buy on a paid app. It went ahead and purchased the app without even asking for my password. I have no idea why this happened, but this behavior is completely unacceptable to me. Is there any way I can fix this?

I remember reading somewhere that App Store will not ask for a password if you entered it within the last fifteen minutes. Is this true? If so I think it applies to my case, because my incident took place just a few minutes after I entered my password for a different purchase. In any case, I'd really like to know how to prevent this behavior in future. Thanks very much in advance to anybody who can help me out. Cheers!

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
That's probably it. To change the purchase password setting go to Settings -> General -> Restrictions. Enable Restrictions, assign a Restrictions Passcode (this is separate from your SIM PIN code and Lock Passcode), then scroll down to Require Password. Change it from 15 minutes to immediately.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
That's probably it. To change the purchase password setting go to Settings -> General -> Restrictions. Enable Restrictions, assign a Restrictions Passcode (this is separate from your SIM PIN code and Lock Passcode), then scroll down to Require Password. Change it from 15 minutes to immediately.

Thanks, that fixed my problem!

I'm just not sure why I need to create an entirely new passcode ("restrictions passcode") in order to enable this feature.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011

I'm just not sure why I need to create an entirely new passcode ("restrictions passcode") in order to enable this feature.

You're welcome!

It's primarily a parenting (and I guess corporation?) feature for situations where one person owns the phone, but another one uses it. It allows you to restrict certain features on the phone you might not want a child to have access to (or the ability to toggle on / off) for instance. The owner sets the Restrictions Code, so the User can't change the settings.

badman89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 24, 2011
You're welcome!

It's primarily a parenting (and I guess corporation?) feature for situations where one person owns the phone, but another one uses it. It allows you to restrict certain features on the phone you might not want a child to have access to (or the ability to toggle on / off) for instance. The owner sets the Restrictions Code, so the User can't change the settings.

That makes sense, but I guess they're just assuming that the owner of the phone would never be stupid enough to accidentally click buy on an app he doesn't want to buy :eek:

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

And somewhere else someone else is wondering

"Why do I need to enter my password to purchase something a 2nd time when I just entered it a minute ago to purchase another app?"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.