Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forrestwhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Canada
Hey everyone -

I'm in a bit of a bind and I'm looking for the expertise of all you gurus out here on MR..

In short, I'm looking to get the new Apple Studio Display soon. However, my work is also upgrading my PC tomorrow to the HP Elitebook 845 g8. This computer doesn't have Thunderbolt, but says it has "USB-C w/ Displayport 1.4.

What I'm hoping I can get from you gurus out there is whether the Apple Studio Display will be compatible with this "USB-C w/ Displayport 1.4", or do I need to push for a computer with Thunderbolt?

Thanks in advance!
FW

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hey everyone -

I'm in a bit of a bind and I'm looking for the expertise of all you gurus out here on MR..

In short, I'm looking to get the new Apple Studio Display soon. However, my work is also upgrading my PC tomorrow to the HP Elitebook 845 g8. This computer doesn't have Thunderbolt, but says it has "USB-C w/ Displayport 1.4.

What I'm hoping I can get from you gurus out there is whether the Apple Studio Display will be compatible with this "USB-C w/ Displayport 1.4", or do I need to push for a computer with Thunderbolt?

Thanks in advance!
FW
Given that it works with the new iPad Air that has a USB 3.2 gen 2 port, I think it will work, but only for the display itself, and not the webcam or speakers.

Reactions: forrestwhite

forrestwhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Canada
Thanks - that's promising. I just wonder if USB-C w/ Displayport will connect into the USB-C or the Thunderbolt port.

dalen3

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
That was the question. If you connect the Studio Display to the dock via thunderbolt, and the PC to the dock via USB-C, would this work.

dalen3

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
I just checked the specs on Apple website, it says:
"One upstream Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) port for host (with 96W host charging)".
So it seems it supports USB-C as a host connection. Should work directly with the HP.

OP, best is to contact apple support to be 100% sure.

Ref:

• Love

Amethyst1

macrumors G3
Oct 28, 2015
That was the question. If you connect the Studio Display to the dock via thunderbolt, and the PC to the dock via USB-C, would this work.
The Dock cannot magically transform USB-C into Thunderbolt. :) But since the display is confirmed to work with non-Thunderbolt iPads, it's likely that it will work with a PC which has USB-C video output via DisplayPort Alternate Mode as well.

The question is, is it limited to "4K" at 60 Hz when doing this (like the newer LG UltraFine 5K is) or can it do 5K at 60 Hz and 10 bpc via DisplayPort 1.4 plus DSC (which your laptop would need to support)?

Last edited:

shadib92

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2022
Hey everyone -

Thanks in advance!
FW
We have an Elitebook for work as well. Did it work with the Studio Display? I tried connecting it with VGA adapter and nothing happened. And tried directly with the USB C display port with the thunderbolt cable and nothing happened.

sutz2001

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2022
Hey everyone -

Thanks in advance!
FW
Hi there!
I also got this laptop from work....running on Windows 11.
Did you get it to work?
All my tries did not work yet. Using the original Apple USB-C/Thunderbolt cable that came with the studio display, works with other laptops, but not with the HP.

Any suggestions how to get it to work maybe? Any settings in Windows maybe? Or doesn't it work?
Laptop is on latest Windows patches and Apple Display on latest firmware.
Thanks.

forrestwhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Canada
I never did - would love to hear if anyone does, but from what I understand, Apple's closed eco-system has made it very difficult to use this monitor for much beyond a single Mac.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hi there!
I also got this laptop from work....running on Windows 11.
Did you get it to work?
All my tries did not work yet. Using the original Apple USB-C/Thunderbolt cable that came with the studio display, works with other laptops, but not with the HP.

Any suggestions how to get it to work maybe? Any settings in Windows maybe? Or doesn't it work?
Laptop is on latest Windows patches and Apple Display on latest firmware.
Thanks.
Try a Thunderbolt 4 cable.

sutz2001

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2022
Try a Thunderbolt 4 cable.
Sadly does not work.
With other laptop the monitor works quite nice. Sound/microphone/cam work and also display.
To be honest, i don’t want to buy an extra monitor for Homeoffice. I would simply use the one I got. The old work laptop with thunderbolt worked, now this one with AMD processor doesn’t.

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Any news on this?

I have an HP Probook with an Intel i5 with usb C but I’m not sure that it will work with the studio display. Has anyone tried?

Thanks!!

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2015
Please has anyone successfully connected the hp elitebook laptop to the studio display and turn it on?

forrestwhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Canada
Looks like, from the above, no one has been able to get this to work.

If things change, please update this thread with your success story. :)

saberfi

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
I had the exact same laptop (elitebook 845 G8), and based on this thread I didn't buy the ASD.

Now, upon changing jobs, I was issued HP EliteBook 640 G9, which has the intel chipset + an actual thunderbolt port.

The Apple Studio Display works great with the 640. It's a shame if the ASD doesn't work with laptops with the AMD chipsets (as seems to be the case), but at least I can say it likely works fine with the newer intel chipset laptops from the same manufacturer. I can of course only confirm 640 G9 as working.

crazyjorgito

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Any news on this?

I have an HP Probook with an Intel i5 with usb C but I’m not sure that it will work with the studio display. Has anyone tried?

Thanks!!
Hello,

Finally I did buy the Studio Display and it works fine with the HP. Although there are several things to take into account:
- If the resolution output is 5K, the computer works slower. With 2.5K resolution it works fine. You can adjust this in windows settings.
- Webcam works perfectly.
- The Studio Display microphone stops working after some minutes when having a Teams audio or video call. I plug in my AirPods Pro or whatever when I’m having a call and the issue is solved.
- Can’t change the brightness of the display, but I plug in quickly my iPad Pro to adjust the display brightness and it solves this issue in 10 seconds.

Take care!

forrestwhite

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
Canada
Hello,

Finally I did buy the Studio Display and it works fine with the HP. Although there are several things to take into account:
- If the resolution output is 5K, the computer works slower. With 2.5K resolution it works fine. You can adjust this in windows settings.
- Webcam works perfectly.
- The Studio Display microphone stops working after some minutes when having a Teams audio or video call. I plug in my AirPods Pro or whatever when I’m having a call and the issue is solved.
- Can’t change the brightness of the display, but I plug in quickly my iPad Pro to adjust the display brightness and it solves this issue in 10 seconds.

Take care!

Just to be clear for everyone - you said you're using it with an HP, but is it an HP with Intel, or with AMD? Sounds like this is the difference as to whether the ASD will or will not work with these laptops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.