Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DKWalser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2023
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I've just installed the first three of what I expect will be several more Aqara Door and Window Sensors. I'm using the Aqara E1 Hub, which was also set up today. Everything is running the latest software (hub, Homepod Mini, and my iPhone). The Aqara sensors were installed on three exterior doors. They work fine in the Aqara Home app. I was even able to set up an automation where the Aqara Home app sends me a notification if one of the doors is left open for more than five minutes.

In Apple Home, things don't work as well. As part of setting up the E1 Hub, Aqara's software had me add the hub to Home. It shows up as a 'System' card in the Kitchen section of Home's home page. The sensors do not show up at all. However, if I open Home Settings and select 'Sensors' the Aqara Door and Window Sensors show up as: "Default Room Contact Sensor", listed three times. There is no way to determine which sensor is which. The status for each sensor (on or off) is shown. On or Off has nothing to do with whether the door is open or closed. It refers to whether notifications have been turned on or off in Home. If notifications are turned on, Home will send a helpful notification, such as "Default Room Contact Sensor was closed."

I cannot find a way to change the name of each of these sensors, nor can I change the room to which the sensors are assigned.

I also installed two Aqara moisture sensors. I'm having the same problem with them.

I'd appreciate any advice you could share.

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Open the Aqara app and go to the profile tab, select HomeKit and chose the option you want to perform. Be sure in the Aqara app the door and window sensors are properly named and in the correct room. Be sure the create the rooms in the Aqara app that match what you use in the Home app and remember the correct spelling matters. The door sensors will only show in each rooms overview (top). If they are only showing in the Home app default room, open that room and tap on each sensor and move it to the correct room. One way to know which sensor is in which location is to trip it or cause it to go off and you will know for certain which one is which. (if that makes sense?) move the sensors from one room to another if needed.

edit: one last note. Aqara gives sensors goofy names like EF009 Leak Sensor. Change that crap to a real common sense name like Kitchen Water Leak Sensor or Hall Bathroom Leak Sensor etc.

Reactions: Pow! and b17777

deanburchell

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Interestingly for me, the sensors do appear under the Home Settings under 'Sensors' and they are in the 'Default Room' but 'Default Room' does not appear as a room in my home. Anyone else?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.