Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eojin9642

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
I have a mac os x 10.5.8 (yes, that is very very old.) and today, when trying to fix a problem related to the screensaver and backgrounds thing, I accidentally deleted the whole Background and Screensavers folder. Permanently. I tried it on different accounts, actually re-installed the whole preferences application (twice), and I do not have a back up or the setup disc. What can I do? Is there a file I can download for just the Background and Screensavers folder? Thank all of you wonderful mac-people out there!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Normally I would suggest to simply reinstall OS X, which does an in-place repair of the system (and preserves your account, data and settings). However, I cannot say whether this worked well in Leopard, as I never tried. You could try it by making a complete backup with Time Machine and than simply reinstalling it (without formatting the disk) with the installation DVD.

eojin9642

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2016
Normally I would suggest to simply reinstall OS X, which does an in-place repair of the system (and preserves your account, data and settings). However, I cannot say whether this worked well in Leopard, as I never tried. You could try it by making a complete backup with Time Machine and than simply reinstalling it (without formatting the disk) with the installation DVD.

As I mentioned above, I don't have a reinstallation disc and I do not have any backups.. :(

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Have you considered purchasing Snow Leopard? What are you going to do if the OS breaks? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.