Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikky05v

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I took my blackbook to class today and when I started it up it ran fine. I spent a few minutes going threw my mail, and iCal while taking notes.

About 5 minutes into class I got a kernal panic

I restarted and it started beeping... I was in that shock mode any apple owner goes into when your baby starts beeping... I tried to count them but my prof reached over and shut the computer:(

Now it wont start up and I don't know what is wrong

When I press the power button I hear the hard disc try to turn but then the sleep light comes on and nothing else happens

I've tried removing all power sources and holding the power button but it didn't help
any ideas.. I've had this computer less then a week

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
If you have only had it that long, get it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Repair Center. It sounds like the memory is not seated properly, considering most PCs beep when they are started without memory installed.

TEG

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Wow, I can cry, go and bitch about it to your prof, even though it did the 3 beeps, maybe it still had life in i before he put his filthy hands on it. That's really sad. any more info you wanna give us? do u have extra RAM at hand?

Pacer69

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
Assuming you bought it new or refurb, you have 90 days for free phone support. 1800SOSAPPL. After that, they charge you UNLESS it's a computer defect OR unless you have the 3-yr AppleCare.

It may simply be a case of incompatible or bad RAM. If you added RAM, take it out and put the original sticks back in and then see what happens. Or just reseat the original RAM if that's all you've got in there.

If that doesn't help: Have you installed any haxies or other 3rd party crud like streaming/pirate apps, torrent apps, etc.? Try to start up holding down the shift key and then delete any of these you can find.

If that still yields nothing, start up with shift key held down again and under the Apple menu, log out using the last menu option on that pull-down Apple menu. Create a new user if you can and then set the computer to be on that user instead of where it is now (yourname). If you are logged in as a new user, and it starts up okay, then there is some corruption or something associated with your main username.

If that doesn't work, start up holding the c key down with the Apple Hardware test disc in your drive (if you can get it to accept it). Run the hardware tests.

If and when you do get your system up again, back it up immediately so you don't lose important data, purchased music, photos, etc. You can just email yourself files if you want to an account like hotmail or google where you get 5gb+ of free parking. Or use yousendit.com to hold some files. I think they give you more space.
Don't forget to call Apple if none of this works. Good luck.

mikky05v

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Update

I did not install any ram in it and I have tried all the suggestions on here.
I'm going to go try and reseat the RAM right now

I called apple and the guy told me to take it to a store and have the genius take a look

I doubt it is the RAM since I know there were more than two beeps and it can go up to 5... and all the things after 2 are bad... i'm hoping the beeps were just repeating... bc there was a pause in there but I don't know where... and i thought it would only go through the beeps once

VoodooDaddy

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2003
Run the hardware test from the restore discs. My wife got a blackbook last friday and had 2 kernel panics right out of the box at first boot. She reset the pram and it booted fine after that.

Then she had some other oddities happen (wouldnt sleep, fans blowing like crazy, apps not starting up, hanging on boot) so I told her to run the hardware tests from the restore discs. It wouldnt even do that. Got a message that said "hardware test does not support this machine."

Apple agreed to a replacement which she just got today. First thing that she did was run the hardware test, which ran just fine, and everything checked ok.

Thetics

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
seee. you should have gotten a white one.. none of this would have ever happened!:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.