Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m1zzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Hi all,

Recently purchased a 1TB NVMe SSD to replace my MacBook pro 13 A1502 current SSD. When I replaced the ssd cards, I can see the 1tb card in the disk utility and also the installation process can detect it.

I had Sierra installed on that mac, I got a Catalina boot USB with the drive. I cannot install Catalina as it tells me that the firmware is not compatible. Then I made a bootable Sierra USB, but for some reason I click the "Install new macos" button and it doesn't respond. So I got the point that it won't work while the 1tb card is still in the computer.

I took it out and have placed it an Acasis external enclosure, plugged it into my other mac and I can't detect it. I can't see it anywhere, but I know it is definitely working and I'll explain why:

1. I have tried finding it in my other macos big sure disk utility, terminal list and volumes folder, cant see it anywhere.\

2. I have installed VMware fusion with Windows 10. Windows did detect it, I can see it on the Device Manager, but I can't see it in My Computer, nor disk management, and can't format it because of that. I tried uninstalling the driver and replugging it to see if it pops up and it didn't work.

3. I have installed Sierra and Catalina on VMware fusion and tested it there, both can't see it anywhere.

I hope anyone has a better idea, because I am trying almost anything there is on the net, and I can't seem to get a fresh macos (doesn't matter what version) installed on this new 1tb SSD...

m1zzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Ok so FINALLY managed to make a bootable SIERRA installer USB but guess what.... now I CAN'T find the 1tb NVMe SSD card even in Terminal :'(

m1zzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
When I put in the Catalina Installer boot USB, the SSD card shows up but guess what... it pretends to install, you wait until it restarts and tries to bring back up the installer, but then goes back to startup options as if I've never tried pressing the install button..

Why can't apple make things a bit more simpler.

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Hi all,

Recently purchased a 1TB NVMe SSD to replace my MacBook pro 13 A1502 current SSD. When I replaced the ssd cards, I can see the 1tb card in the disk utility and also the installation process can detect it.

I had Sierra installed on that mac, I got a Catalina boot USB with the drive. I cannot install Catalina as it tells me that the firmware is not compatible. Then I made a bootable Sierra USB, but for some reason I click the "Install new macos" button and it doesn't respond. So I got the point that it won't work while the 1tb card is still in the computer.

I took it out and have placed it an Acasis external enclosure, plugged it into my other mac and I can't detect it. I can't see it anywhere, but I know it is definitely working and I'll explain why:

1. I have tried finding it in my other macos big sure disk utility, terminal list and volumes folder, cant see it anywhere.\

2. I have installed VMware fusion with Windows 10. Windows did detect it, I can see it on the Device Manager, but I can't see it in My Computer, nor disk management, and can't format it because of that. I tried uninstalling the driver and replugging it to see if it pops up and it didn't work.

3. I have installed Sierra and Catalina on VMware fusion and tested it there, both can't see it anywhere.

I hope anyone has a better idea, because I am trying almost anything there is on the net, and I can't seem to get a fresh macos (doesn't matter what version) installed on this new 1tb SSD...
NVMe SSD drive is supported only with installed firmware from High Sierra and up on the MacBook.. To install the new firmware, you need to install High Sierra from scratch and re-install the original drive and it will install this new firmware on your MacBook. The vendor who sold you the drive should have warned you that you must have High Sierra and up installed on your MacBook already prior to installing the NVMe drive or it won't see it.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.