Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Ok so I'm finally upgrading my ibook, I'll be buying the black book from best buy today and I want to add 2gigs of memory. Heres my question, if I buy this 1gig stick of ram from best buy (Kingston Technology 1GB PC5300 DDR2 SoDIMM Notebook Memory) will my 2gigs of ram be a "matching" pair? I have heard that you want the macbook memory to be matching for performance reasons. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :p

LinuXtreme

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Near Aspen
The MacBook will come with both slots populated with 512MB sticks. In order for you to have a matching pair you'd have to buy two 1GB sticks, not just one, to replace both of the existing modules.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
The MacBook will come with both slots populated with 512MB sticks. In order for you to have a matching pair you'd have to buy two 1GB sticks, not just one, to replace both of the existing modules.

Well right now I only have 1500. I could buy the black macbook and wait to upgrade the ram (a long wait) or I could buy the white one and upgrade the ram now. Crap what do I do!!

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Well, the black one has 40GB more hard drive space, so get whatever one is more valuable to you in that regard.

If you buy the 1GB stick today, and keep 1 512MB for 1.5GB, it will still run well, and then you can buy another Kingston stick later to make it 2GB. Ram is cheap and can be easily upgraded anytime. If you want the black one, get the black one and deal with the ram later.

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Well, the black one has 40GB more hard drive space, so get whatever one is more valuable to you in that regard.

If you buy the 1GB stick today, and keep 1 512MB for 1.5GB, it will still run well, and then you can buy another Kingston stick later to make it 2GB. Ram is cheap and can be easily upgraded anytime. If you want the black one, get the black one and deal with the ram later.

Good call! I'm on my way to the store now, I'll post pics later today! -Ken

emac82

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Have fun!! Congratulations!!

I have a Black one, but I originally intended on getting the high end White one, but I got a wicked deal that I couldn't pass up. If you can spare the $$ get the Marware Protection Pack (or equivalent) for the palm rests...

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2004
Update! Ok the best buy store near my house, does not have any black macbooks in stock, the associate said "They sell like crazy." So they do have both white models in, and that would still leave me enough money to buy a new ps2. Problem: I don't want to have to deal with discoloration issues. I'm gonna call around to some more stores and see if I can find a black one... :confused:

Update 2: There isnt a best buy within 50 miles that has one. So I'm gonna wait a few days until the black ones come back in stock. Will post some pics when I get it!

mrweirdo

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2005
http://store.apple.com ;)

of course you dont get the joy of walking out the store with something right away and taking it home to begin using it. With that said Apple ships very fast with free shipping, same prices. From my own personal experience it takes 3 days to receive an order.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
Update 2: There isnt a best buy within 50 miles that has one. So I'm gonna wait a few days until the black ones come back in stock. Will post some pics when I get it!

is BestBuy the only apple reseller near you?

personally i loathe Best Buy

do you have any Fry's electronics, or circuit city?

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
The new plastic being used in the white macbooks mostly takes care of the discoloration problem. And on top of that, if it does start to get stained, get yourself a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser (or a knockoff) and wipe it down, that will get rid of the staining no problem.

Just trying to save you some money is all

nownot

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2007
tx
ive had the white and the black. white = stains (maybe not any more) :: black = fingerprints (really bad). pick your poison.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Update! Ok the best buy store near my house, does not have any black macbooks in stock, the associate said "They sell like crazy."
Update 2: There isnt a best buy within 50 miles that has one. So I'm gonna wait a few days until the black ones come back in stock.

Maybe Apple are starting to stop production of the current MacBooks because of possible new models...

I don't want to ruin your fun by making you wait, but it might be a good idea. You'll get Leopard for free, too.
I fully understand that you might urgently need the MacBook now, or might not care about the rumoured improvements, but I'm just sayin'. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.