Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GabbbyyyMassacre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Orange County
So I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch, Mid 2012 and I spilled orange juice on It. It turns on and all but the mouse acts crazy and starts clicking everything. Sometimes it will work for a few minutes before the mouse starts to act up again. I took it in to a Mac store and they said it had water damage and they have to replace it all. I took it to geek squad to see if maybe they can transfer my data to "my pass port for Mac" but they couldn't touch it because of apples policy. He mentioned a third party that's certified by apple? Does anyone have any suggestions or know any places that could transfer my photos and notes and videos to the USB before I hand it into Mac and wipe out all my memories? :(

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
A professional shop or you can put the ssd in a external enclosure and connect it via USB to a PC

Or if it still starts try migration assist on the new machine

Last edited:

GabbbyyyMassacre

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2016
Orange County
A professional shop or you can put the ssd in a external enclosure and connect it via USB to a PC

Or if it still starts try migration assist on the new machine
Hmm know of any good ones In California? I've never heard or done that before. Could you explain more on that? I don't really know much about computers other than the common things.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Last edited:

Suspended
May 28, 2017
So I have a MacBook Pro 13 inch, Mid 2012 and I spilled orange juice on It. It turns on and all but the mouse acts crazy and starts clicking everything. Sometimes it will work for a few minutes before the mouse starts to act up again. I took it in to a Mac store and they said it had water damage and they have to replace it all. I took it to geek squad to see if maybe they can transfer my data to "my pass port for Mac" but they couldn't touch it because of apples policy. He mentioned a third party that's certified by apple? Does anyone have any suggestions or know any places that could transfer my photos and notes and videos to the USB before I hand it into Mac and wipe out all my memories? :(

Yes, like maerz001 said, get your drive out of your laptop and put it in an external enclosure.

If you follow the video in the post above (and there are many other such videos on YouTube), the whole procedure should take you no more than 15-20 minutes. Should be pretty straightforward. Just be slow and cautious.

Then, once you have the drive in the enclosure, you can hook it up to another computer via USB, just like you would plug in a little USB stick. Your drive will show up in Finder/Explorer on the computer, and you should be able to retrieve all the data from it.

Just do it yourself (unless you have money to burn). Shops will charge you an arm and a leg for any small thing.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Is the 2012 MacBook Pro a retina model or a non-retina model?

EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWS PERTAINS TO A NON-RETINA MBP:
If it's the "classic" (NON-retina) MBPro, it has an easily-removable 2.5" hard drive inside.
The back can be removed (you need a Phillips #00 driver), and the drive then can be disconnected and lifted out.

You can then use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...478&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=sabremt+usb3+to+ssd
... to connect it to another Mac and "get at" the data that's on the drive.

ANOTHER QUESTION:
Is it only the trackpad that's giving you trouble?
Does the keyboard still work?
If you plug in an EXTERNAL USB mouse, can you still point/click as you normally would?

WHY I asked:
If it's only the trackpad, it MIGHT be replaceable on the non-retina MBP.
Here's a page on repairing a 2012 non retina MBP:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_13"_Unibody_Mid_2012

Here's a page on replacing the trackpad:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Trackpad+Replacement/10376

REMOVING THE DRIVE IS NOT DIFFICULT -- all it takes is a screwdriver and a few minutes.
The trackpad replacement doesn't look much harder.
Before you "write off" the MBP, it might be worth trying to repair it yourself.

Or at the very least -- take the drive out and use it on a new Mac.

Last edited:

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Btw you should have upgraded your HD to a SSD years
OP:

Is the 2012 MacBook Pro a retina model or a non-retina model?

EVERYTHING THAT FOLLOWS PERTAINS TO A NON-RETINA MBP:
If it's the "classic" (NON-retina) MBPro, it has an easily-removable 2.5" hard drive inside.
The back can be removed (you need a Phillips #00 driver), and the drive then can be disconnected and lifted out.

You can then use something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...478&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=sabremt+usb3+to+ssd
... to connect it to another Mac and "get at" the data that's on the drive.

ANOTHER QUESTION:
Is it only the trackpad that's giving you trouble?
Does the keyboard still work?
If you plug in an EXTERNAL USB mouse, can you still point/click as you normally would?

WHY I asked:
If it's only the trackpad, it MIGHT be replaceable on the non-retina MBP.
Here's a page on repairing a 2012 non retina MBP:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_13"_Unibody_Mid_2012

Here's a page on replacing the trackpad:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Trackpad+Replacement/10376

REMOVING THE DRIVE IS NOT DIFFICULT -- all it takes is a screwdriver and a few minutes.
The trackpad replacement doesn't look much harder.
Before you "write off" the MBP, it might be worth trying to repair it yourself.

Or at the very least -- take the drive out and use it on a new Mac.
the mid 2012 is a cMBP.

You don't wanna use a HDD anymore

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.