Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chancee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I don't get it... Exchange for the rest of us? Does that mean ONLY if you have a .me/.mac email? Surely the rest of us have emails besides those. I was only considering Mobile Me because I thought I would finally be able to have my hotmail, gmail, and new .me emails pushed to my iphone. To 'have everything in one place' and 'availabile from anywhere' to me meant that I can access all my emails, contacts, etc. in one place.

So far it looks like I can have maybe have hotmail forwarded to the Mobile Me account, but then I can't reply from the iphone or even outlook, without it listing the .Me email as the return address. Probably very confusing for whoever I'm replying to. Anyone know something different?

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
I don't get it... Exchange for the rest of us? Does that mean ONLY if you have a .me/.mac email? Surely the rest of us have emails besides those. I was only considering Mobile Me because I thought I would finally be able to have my hotmail, gmail, and new .me emails pushed to my iphone. To 'have everything in one place' and 'availabile from anywhere' to me meant that I can access all my emails, contacts, etc. in one place.

So far it looks like I can have maybe have hotmail forwarded to the Mobile Me account, but then I can't reply from the iphone or even outlook, without it listing the .Me email as the return address. Probably very confusing for whoever I'm replying to. Anyone know something different?

Yah i hear ya.

What i did for now is have gmail grab all my email. Which is nice anyway since it does great spam filtering. Then you just forward it to your me account.

As for replying. I just setup another gmail account and then duped it a few times on the iphone with different reply addresses.

That way when i hit reply in my .me folder i can select whatever alias i want.

Hope that makes sense.

This is hackery, but works well for now. They just rolled out MobileMe, they will have more options soon enough.

chancee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah, I here you... but that's a lot of work for a hundred bucks a year. In my opinion the marketing was pretty misleading. Oh, well. Hopefully, like you said, they'll address this

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It simply isn't possible. Apple has no control over hotmail's or gmail's servers (or any other servers besides their own). They can't push your other emails, only those on an Apple server.

I'm sorry you misunderstood, but there's nothing Apple can do to perform what you described.

dissdnt

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
It simply isn't possible. Apple has no control over hotmail's or gmail's servers (or any other servers besides their own). They can't push your other emails, only those on an Apple server.

I'm sorry you misunderstood, but there's nothing Apple can do to perform what you described.

Yah your exactly right. The purpose of PUSH is to get instant email from a specific server. So even all the crap i'm doing it's really worth it. At least now with 2.0 you can select specific accounts to fetch or manual. One thing i've been waiting for because some email accounts i really dont care about on a daily basis.

The only up swing really is battery life and probably getting your fetch email quicker. Your limited to 15 min email fetches on the iphone. Gmail checks pretty often and will forward it and be pushed do you sooner.

JNB

macrumors 604
Unless you've deluded yourself, there's nothing misleading about MobileMe or the marketing. It does exactly what Apple says it would, and it behaves as I would expect a Web client for IMAP mail to behave. All of the things you've mentioned as misleading are just your own imagining of what you wanted it to mean.

Look at the messaging more closely. There's nothing implying what you're complaining about.

chancee

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Okay, I get - but then why even make Mobile Me available for PC/Outlook?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i read this thread as "can i get an email other than @me"? i.e. use a different email address but still have the functionality of MobileMe, like using your own domain with Gmail… is this possible?

tomccabe

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008

it IS possible (not even mentioning BB has been doing this for almost a decade). There is an option right now when you set up your .me address for it to check ONE other email address. i am getting my work emails pushed through .me already. i have my gmail set to forward to .me so those are getting pushed too (crazy for something that isn't possible). my issue is that why let me have another email pushed to my phone if I CAN'T FREAKING REPLY TO THOSE MESSAGES WITH THE ORIGINAL EMAIL ADDRESS! useless apple, useless. oh, and on my BB i could set as many email addresses as i wanted (with no $99 yearly fee either) and they would all get pushed and, gasp!, i could respond using any one of the accounts (and copy/paste & search emails). not possible my a**.

lukenorris

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Unless you've deluded yourself, there's nothing misleading about MobileMe or the marketing. It does exactly what Apple says it would, and it behaves as I would expect a Web client for IMAP mail to behave. All of the things you've mentioned as misleading are just your own imagining of what you wanted it to mean.

Look at the messaging more closely. There's nothing implying what you're complaining about.

It is misleading though, because I thought the same thing. I can't afford to have my own exchange or BES server for my small business emails. I really thought this was going to be a awesome solution to filter out all the junk emails I get. I guess not!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.