Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teezdesigns

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
This is the one thing i hate about Apple, if stuff doesn't work they want you to bring your computer to them... a pc i could just wipe out the drive and start fresh... Is there a way to do this on MAC? Please read on to see why i want to do this... I have had no luck, and my mac is running very poorly!

I am trying to install the tiger i purchased.. it is the upgrade DVD. I am furious cause Apple can't help me after i spent money on the stupid program, and they won't take it back cause it is opened. Anyway here is my problem...

I have a G4 dual 1.0

I try to install it with the computer on... when it directs me to restart i do and then nothing, it boots to the grey apple screen, but no gears start moving...the same thing happens when i boot from the disc! So i was gonna do a disc repair from disc, an old disc, but I don't have my original boot disc from my last upgrade to 10.3.9, but i do have 10.3.7 from my macmini, but that isn't working either... is there any way to wipe out and start from scratch, anything i can do? I want to do a nice fresh clean install... Please Help me. Thanks, i am goin nuts!

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
The only time I've ever seen a Mac OS disc fail to boot is when the disc itself is damaged, or when the system does not have sufficient memory installed. If you have less than the required 256 megs of memory, it won't boot.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
If you boot from the DVD (holding down the "C" key on the keyboard) how long are you waiting for it to boot? it can take up to 5 minutes before it starts.

If you have bad memory in the machine or a damaged hard drive, it can muck it up.

iPhil

macrumors 68040
teezdesigns said:
This is the one thing i hate about Apple, if stuff doesn't work they want you to bring your computer to them... a pc i could just wipe out the drive and start fresh... Is there a way to do this on MAC? Please read on to see why i want to do this... I have had no luck, and my mac is running very poorly!

I am trying to install the tiger i purchased.. it is the upgrade DVD. I am furious cause Apple can't help me after i spent money on the stupid program, and they won't take it back cause it is opened. Anyway here is my problem...

I have a G4 dual 1.0

I try to install it with the computer on... when it directs me to restart i do and then nothing, it boots to the grey apple screen, but no gears start moving...the same thing happens when i boot from the disc! So i was gonna do a disc repair from disc, an old disc, but I don't have my original boot disc from my last upgrade to 10.3.9, but i do have 10.3.7 from my macmini, but that isn't working either... is there any way to wipe out and start from scratch, anything i can do? I want to do a nice fresh clean install... Please Help me. Thanks, i am goin nuts!

Is your G4 dual 1GHz a Quicksilver or Mirror Drive Door system?

If its a QuickSilver then no need to check on the 'Boot-Rom' version..

If its a Mirror Drive Door aka MDD system then it might need to check the 'Boot-Rom' version if says anything below 4.4.8 version then it needs to upgraded to the 4.4.8 firmware..

the info i've listed is from MacTracker app which can be found @ http://www.Mactracker.ca ... :eek: :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.