Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edisrevir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
I have a 2014 MacBook Pro and want to use PPC software that is on a 2007 Mac.
It needs to run on Snow Leopard as it is only compatible with Power PC.
The software is Quicken for Mac 2007 and it is the version that is only runs on PPC.
Is it possible to use Parallels 16 to run the software?
Any assistance on what I can do to run it would be appreciated. Thanks.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I believe only the server versions of Leopard and Snow Leopard are supported in Parallels. But Rosetta should work for running PowerPC code. Which should also work in VirtualBox. As VBox lists support for Leopard Server and Snow Leopard Server too.

You may want to look into a newer personal finance software though. At least just look into it. Eventually, if you stick with Macs. Whenever you move to an ARM model that'll be it for running that program.

Although I suppose you could emulate PowerPC and run Leopard with QEMU.

Edisrevir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2021
I believe only the server versions of Leopard and Snow Leopard are supported in Parallels. But Rosetta should work for running PowerPC code. Which should also work in VirtualBox. As VBox lists support for Leopard Server and Snow Leopard Server too.

You may want to look into a newer personal finance software though. At least just look into it. Eventually, if you stick with Macs. Whenever you move to an ARM model that'll be it for running that program.

Although I suppose you could emulate PowerPC and run Leopard with QEMU.
Thanks for the input... I have looked into the new software and taken a trail run of it. Unfortunately Quicken was sold by Intuit a few years back to a private investment company and the Mac software version has been changed significantly and is nowhere as near as good as the old one that runs under Snow Leopard.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I've had Snow Leopard (not server) running in a Virtualbox machine for a few years now. My current macOS is Mojave.

I was quite surprised that I got it running.

HEK9000

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2020
Yes. It should work.

I have been running Snow Leopard Server in Parallels for several years on my desktop iMac, and mbp with Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave. Only the Server version of Snow Leopard will work.

Make sure to check that Parallels v16 still supports Snow Leopard before you buy it (I see no reason why it should not). My current version of Parallels is v12 on the iMac, and a slightly newer version on the mbp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.