Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

do i need a pole question?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jonzy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Trying to help someone using macOS Big Sur 11.7.10 on a MacBook pro 15" Mid 2014.

She cannot add or delete any printer, (there are several in the que of different manufactuers), I get a printool pop up box asking for "_ipadmin" username and password. I have tried the computer admin name/password without success. When I cancel the PopUp the add or delete process fails. When I tried to Reset the printer system by right clicking one of the printers that option is on the menu but grayed out and unavailable.

I tried to using the instructions to add the user to the Admin group as follows

1. Click the Directory Editor tab.
  2. Open the Viewing drop-down menu and select Groups.
  3. In the search box, type print.
  4. From the results, select Print Administrators.
  5. Click the Lock icon next to Not authenticated (which is located under the Directory Editor tab) to unlock the section. Enter your Mac user name and password.
  6. Select GroupMembership. Click the (+) Add button next to the GroupMembership line. You won’t see it if you did not unlock this section.
  7. Enter the user name that keeps seeing this printtool pop-up message. In the text area underneath the list, replace “new_value” (which is already selected) with the user name, like stacey (in our screenshot, the user name is macReports.com).
  8. Click Save, then quit Directory Utility.
  9. Restart your Mac.
Here is what it is supposed to look like

228f1932-8826-46a9-8e2f-1a0c3c85b0fc

But on this computer there is no "Print Administrator" category listed only "Print Operator" and "Print Services"
so I am at a loss as how to proceed.
Can the Print Admin category be added manually (and if so what info is needed?) or is it no longer used in Big Sur? Is there a way to disable the need for admin approval? I could use some help. I am fairly computer literate but I am not very familiar with The MacOSes after 10.13 and I have never seen this problem before. Does anyone know for sure if a reinstall of the Big Sur would replace the proper Admin properties for the printer systems or should I revert back to 10.15 where apparently she was able to print?
Any suggestions ?
TIA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.