Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CamCracker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Hi. I have Mac OS X 10.4.11 and I am getting into the whole wallpaper changing thing now. I have a folder of photos that the wallpaper uses to change every 5 seconds. I don't want it to change every 5 seconds, I want it to change every 10 seconds, but it's not an option, it goes from 5 seconds, to 30 seconds, to a minute.

Can I edit a file or something to make it change every 10 seconds or another custom time?

Thanks! :D

CamCracker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
Update: Success!

I have had success setting a custom time for the changing wallpaper.

Here is how I did it:

I downloaded Pref Setter http://mac-free.com/download/Pref-Setter.html and opened the plist file called com.apple.desktop.plist located in your library folder>>Preferences>>com.apple.desktop.plist and inside the Pref Setter app you can search for plist files so you don't have to locate it. Once you open it in Pref setter, you'll see a line of text that says background and there is an arrow next to it, click the arrow, and then you'll see 2 entries, click the first one and the 3rd one down in the menu that dropped down, you'll see it says "ChangeTime" I want 10 seconds so I put "10" then click the arrow on that entry to close it and do the same exact thing to the second entry and you have a custom time for changing your wallpaper! :D

mr666

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Doesn't work for me

First: That plist doesn't show two different lines with a time number, only one.
Second: You forgot to mention saving it. Don't you need to save it? Then it says it doesn't know where it is (odd, since it populated this file from the get go without any help from me), so I have to point this Pref Setter to ~/Library/Preferences.
Third: that plist file is altered by an app. You have to open the app contents and make changes that allow setting the time for something custom. Now, be a smart guy (I'm not) and tell us which app changes that plist file so we can start messing around with it to find what resource controls the list of times that are available.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.