Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I'd like to try a Chromebook - partly out of curiosity and partly because I think it would make a good spare computer and a good device for guests to borrow when visiting.

What I want is probably a midrange Chromebook rather than low end or high end.
Here's what I'm after:

* 13-14" screen
* i3 processor, 4 or 8 GB RAM, 128GB SSD
* FHD screen resolution or better
* Touchscreen
* Pen support
* Fingerprint sensor
* Backlit keyboard

I've had a quick search
HP X360 14C seems to have all these features
Lenovo Flex 5 seems to have everything except fingerprint sensor.

Can anyone suggest any other Chromebooks I should consider?

Thanks

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I'd like to try a Chromebook - partly out of curiosity and partly because I think it would make a good spare computer and a good device for guests to borrow when visiting.

What I want is probably a midrange Chromebook rather than low end or high end.
Here's what I'm after:

* 13-14" screen
* i3 processor, 4 or 8 GB RAM, 128GB SSD
* FHD screen resolution or better
* Touchscreen
* Pen support
* Fingerprint sensor
* Backlit keyboard

I've had a quick search
HP X360 14C seems to have all these features
Lenovo Flex 5 seems to have everything except fingerprint sensor.

Can anyone suggest any other Chromebooks I should consider?

Thanks
Those are two good options that fit all of your requirements.

The Acer Chromebook Spin 513 is available with 8GB/128GB, backlit keyboard, touchscreen, support for USI stylus (not included), but no fingerprint scanner.

I suggest reconsidering some of those requirements though to give you more options.

Unless you plan on enabling the Linux container on the chromebook, you most likely won't need 128 GB storage... particularly if the device has support for SD cards.

The same goes for the 8GB RAM. 4GB is sufficient for most entertainment and productivity needs.

I heavily use chromebooks (Lenovo Duet, Lenovo Chromebook 3, and ThinkPad C13 Yoga Chromebook) in my mix of devices. I previously owned a Google Pixelbook and while the hardware was amazing, the improvement in user experience wasn't in relation to the cost of the device. Definitely a case of the law of diminishing returns.

Reactions: ozaz

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Unless you plan on enabling the Linux container on the chromebook, you most likely won't need 128 GB storage... particularly if the device has support for SD cards.

Not sure yet if I will use the Linux support long term, but I'm curious to play around with it. I will also be buying used or refurb, so will probably look to get a 2020-2021 model for around 1/3 to 1/2 of its original retail price. So the price difference between 64GB and 128GB models not much of an issue.

The same goes for the 8GB RAM. 4GB is sufficient for most entertainment and productivity needs.

I agree. I'm not worried about getting 8GB RAM.

The feature I'd like that seems uncommon in the bracket I'm looking at is fingerprint sensor. So far, the only 2020-2021 midrange device I can find which has this as well as the other things I'm after is HP X360 14C.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Acer spin 714. Was on sale at Best buy for $599. Has an i5 1230u and 8gb ram with 256gb ssd and fingerprint reader. 14" touchscreen with FHD+. Acer makes some pretty good chromebooks and if I was in the market for one this would be it for me.

Reactions: ozaz and sracer

ackmondual

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I got an HP Chromebook, 14", back around 5 years ago. Whenever I travel, I still use it. It's such a joy to use for web browsing, email, and those internet basics, and has great battery life! Many laptops and MacBooks have these touchpad gesture equivalents, but on a CB... 2-finger swipe left/right to go back/forward. 3-finger click to open a link in a new tab. 3-finger swipe left/right to move between your browser tabs. I also plug in a USB bluetooth travel mouse for specific occasions.

Chromebooks (should) have micro SD card slots (mine does), and you can plug in USB-A thumb drives into the USB ports for more storage and as a means to transfer files.

I have no touch screen nor backlit keyboard, but it's something I'll look out for for my next CB. I may want to up the RAM and storage "just in case". I currently have 16 and 4 GB respectively. I also got mine used, for $200. Was shocked that something so inexpensive ended up working so well! Support back then was also good. My CB had a hardware issue where the vertical column of keys from '2' to 'X' only worked half the time. They replaced it at no cost under warranty (although I barely got that in, on the 89th of the 90 day warranty!)

Reactions: ozaz

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Acer spin 714. Was on sale at Best buy for $599. Has an i5 1230u and 8gb ram with 256gb ssd and fingerprint reader. 14" touchscreen with FHD+. Acer makes some pretty good chromebooks and if I was in the market for one this would be it for me.

I've taken a look at Acer Spin 714. It doesn't seem to always have fingerprint sensor. I guess it does in some countries, but where I live (UK) it doesn't seem to have it.

The Acer Chromebook Spin 513 is available with 8GB/128GB, backlit keyboard, touchscreen, support for USI stylus (not included), but no fingerprint scanner.

If I decided not to bother with fingerprint sensor, this is an option. But I think I'd choose Lenovo Flex 5 over it - mainly because I seem to be able to get used Flex 5 at a lower price.

I suggest reconsidering some of those requirements though to give you more options.

If I decided not to bother with fingerprint sensor and dropped RAM and storage requirement to 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, do you have any specific suggestions in mind that haven't already been mentioned? I'd still want 13-14" FHD touchscreen with USI stylus support.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
If money is an issue see if you can find an Acer spin 713 with tiger lake i5 new or used/refurbished. You can probably find one on sale since the spin 14 is a direct replacement.

I would avoid 4gb ram and cheap Intel processors.

The Acer spin series has other models that are cheaper. There are some with AMD but they aren’t great. I would stick with Intel i5 and I believe there is an Acer spin 713 with 10th gen i5 used/refurbished which would be even cheaper. Both 713 have 128gb ssd, great 2k touchscreen and 8gb ram. Great devices

There is a Lenovo c13 Chromebook and I would recommend the ryzen 7 256gb ssd model. Comes with usi stylus. 16gb ram. You can get them on swappa used for around $400. Probably get a new one for around $500 on sale. Check Lenovo website often as they put them on sale regularly.

Last edited:
Reactions: sracer

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I've taken a look at Acer Spin 714. It doesn't seem to always have fingerprint sensor. I guess it does in some countries, but where I live (UK) it doesn't seem to have it.

If I decided not to bother with fingerprint sensor, this is an option. But I think I'd choose Lenovo Flex 5 over it - mainly because I seem to be able to get used Flex 5 at a lower price.

If I decided not to bother with fingerprint sensor and dropped RAM and storage requirement to 4GB RAM and 64GB storage, do you have any specific suggestions in mind that haven't already been mentioned? I'd still want 13-14" FHD touchscreen with USI stylus support.
I recently purchased a Lenovo ThinkPad C13 Chromebook for $160 in indistinguishable-from-new condition. That's 4GB RAM/32GB storage, plenty of ports, fingerprint sensor, and garaged stylus. I'm a ThinkPad fan as well as a chromebook fan so this device is a mash-up made in gadget heaven for me. I enjoy it far more than my Google Pixelbook.

But if you're not a fan of ThinkPads, then you can get a better deal (more RAM/storage) on the Lenovo Flex 5 (which is essentially their non-ThinkPad version). It has fewer ports (no HDMI and only 1 USB-A) but is a well-made device, IMO.

Reactions: Technerd108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.