Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m1zzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Hi all,

I have a MacBook pro 13 mid-2014 A1502, on which I have been running Windows for years (I can't even remember what macOS I had on there).

The thing is, I recently replaced my 256gb ssd with a 1tb ssd card. I received a bootable Catalina Macos USB with it, which I have been trying to use to install on the new harddrive.

Once I plug in the USB and turn the computer on, the computer goes straight into recovery mode (utility list). I click on install new macOS and follow the prompts, agree to the conditions. Then installation starts for about 6-7 minutes. Once finished, the computer restarts and then it goes back into recovery mode utility list as if nothing happened.

It keeps restarting about 6 minutes after installation starts each time I try it. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

I have tried to start the computer and click and hold CMD+CTRL+R for internet recovery and I get the lovely folder with questionmark in it.
I have also tried to check if the new 1tb ssd is properly fixed in position.
I tried AFPS format for the SSD card, but the installation doesn't recognise it, so changed it to journaled.

Any ideas?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Is your new 1TB SSD a non-Apple drive, with an adapter of some kind - maybe a Sintech adapter?
Have you followed the steps that came with that adapter?
If you have not ever upgraded to Mojave (or later) prior to this, then you must first install the upgrade macOS install on the original drive (which does not need the adapter). The purpose for this is to upgrade your firmware, allowing your MBPro to then see the new NVME drive, through the adapter. So, install Mojave (or Catalina) on the original drive FIRST, then replace the drive with your new 1TB SSD. Your MBPro should then see the drive, and allow you to do the install you want on the new SSD.

m1zzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Is your new 1TB SSD a non-Apple drive, with an adapter of some kind - maybe a Sintech adapter?
Have you followed the steps that came with that adapter?
If you have not ever upgraded to Mojave (or later) prior to this, then you must first install the upgrade macOS install on the original drive (which does not need the adapter). The purpose for this is to upgrade your firmware, allowing your MBPro to then see the new NVME drive, through the adapter. So, install Mojave (or Catalina) on the original drive FIRST, then replace the drive with your new 1TB SSD. Your MBPro should then see the drive, and allow you to do the install you want on the new SSD.
It's not Apple original, but it's fully compatible without the need for any adapters.

I had an issue with the firmware when I first placed the new ssd card into the MB pro, tried to install it, but the installation window showed the disk as incompatible due to firmware needing an upgrade. Fixed it by deleting the disk container and formatting it journaled instead of AFPS. After that, the installation window did find the HD compatible for installation. Do you think that solved the firmware issue or maybe it still exists?

So if I put the old HD back into place, upgrade the macOS to Catalina, do you think I would then be able to have it freshly installed on the new HD?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes, I think that will work.
Install old drive. You SHOULD be able to do this with the old drive in an external enclosure, but you might not have that available to you.
Install Catalina on the old drive.
When that is complete (probably no need to set up a user on the old drive, which will save some time for you) remove the old drive, install new drive.
Finally, install Catalina on the new drive. Should work now.
I am somewhat surprised that the new drive did not have any suggestions that you need to make sure that Mojave (actually, High Sierra should be enough!) had already been installed before using the new drive.

m1zzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Yes, I think that will work.
Install old drive. You SHOULD be able to do this with the old drive in an external enclosure, but you might not have that available to you.
Install Catalina on the old drive.
When that is complete (probably no need to set up a user on the old drive, which will save some time for you) remove the old drive, install new drive.
Finally, install Catalina on the new drive. Should work now.
I am somewhat surprised that the new drive did not have any suggestions that you need to make sure that Mojave (actually, High Sierra should be enough!) had already been installed before using the new drive.
So the new ssd card came with a note stating it had Catalina pre-installed, but it didn't work, and I tried to use the bootable USD to install Catalina, but it stated that there was that firmware issues. So like a good newbie I deleted the disk container and erased the pre-isntalled Catalina to have it set to journaled xD.

I do have an external enclosure, I will try it and hopefully it will work. Will let you know how it goes :) thankyou.

m1zzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
hmmm....
What brand is that new SSD?
I didn't check.

I am having issues updating the macos on the old ssd card, I clicked on update and it restarted with a screen stating "your computer restarted because of a problem..." then goes back to start screen as if I never clicked update.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You would be updating the macOS by booting to an external installer drive, right?
It's a simpler way to update, often more reliable than using software update.

m1zzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
You would be updating the macOS by booting to an external installer drive, right?
It's a simpler way to update, often more reliable than using software update.
because i tried so many things, i thought it deserves a new thread... I am really losing hope :(

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Re-install your original SSD. Boot to your Catalina installer. Erase that old SSD. Format as an APFS volume.
I suggest that after erasing your (original) internal drive, shut your MBPro off.
Then restart, booting again to the installer.
NOW, install Catalina to that original SSD.
You can set up a new user on that old SSD, if you like (might be useful for troubleshooting, if necessary)
So, when the install has completed - replace that old SSD with the new one.
Do the same process (Erase, format will be APFS on that volume, shutdown at that point, then restart, again to the installer. Install Catalina to your new SSD.
This should work this time, because the install to the original SSD would also make sure the firmware is updated, and should fix your issue.

(Unless you just purchased a POS for an SSD. What does the label on your new SSD show as the manufacturer? There is a model number on that same label, helping to identify that specific SSD

m1zzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
Re-install your original SSD. Boot to your Catalina installer. Erase that old SSD. Format as an APFS volume.
I suggest that after erasing your (original) internal drive, shut your MBPro off.
Then restart, booting again to the installer.
NOW, install Catalina to that original SSD.
You can set up a new user on that old SSD, if you like (might be useful for troubleshooting, if necessary)
So, when the install has completed - replace that old SSD with the new one.
Do the same process (Erase, format will be APFS on that volume, shutdown at that point, then restart, again to the installer. Install Catalina to your new SSD.
This should work this time, because the install to the original SSD would also make sure the firmware is updated, and should fix your issue.

(Unless you just purchased a POS for an SSD. What does the label on your new SSD show as the manufacturer? There is a model number on that same label, helping to identify that specific SSD

I haven't touched my original yet, I might as well just give it a shot. But if I erase it before I install the new macOS, won't it give me trouble later down the track?

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
Hi all,

I have a MacBook pro 13 mid-2014 A1502, on which I have been running Windows for years (I can't even remember what macOS I had on there).

The thing is, I recently replaced my 256gb ssd with a 1tb ssd card. I received a bootable Catalina Macos USB with it, which I have been trying to use to install on the new harddrive.

Once I plug in the USB and turn the computer on, the computer goes straight into recovery mode (utility list). I click on install new macOS and follow the prompts, agree to the conditions. Then installation starts for about 6-7 minutes. Once finished, the computer restarts and then it goes back into recovery mode utility list as if nothing happened.

It keeps restarting about 6 minutes after installation starts each time I try it. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

I have tried to start the computer and click and hold CMD+CTRL+R for internet recovery and I get the lovely folder with questionmark in it.
I have also tried to check if the new 1tb ssd is properly fixed in position.
I tried AFPS format for the SSD card, but the installation doesn't recognise it, so changed it to journaled.

Any ideas?
If you have had it running on Windows for years, this means your firmware is old and won't support NVMe drives sold by 3rd party vendors until you update the built-in Macbook Pro firmware.

You need to have your original SSD/hard drive upgraded to 10.13. High Sierra and up before you installed the NVMe drive, because only firmware from 10.13 High Sierra supports NVMe drive. Anything lower than High Sierra only support AHCI SSD drive or normal hard drive, which is why you can't install Catalina. You need to first re-install High Sierra "ON" the original SSD or hard drive to update the firmware. Once installed, then you can remove the original drive and then install Catalina on the 3rd party drive. It's one of those trade-offs unfortunately by installing non-Apple devices.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: DeltaMac

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You are wanting to do a clean install of Catalina.
You said that you have only Windows on that SSD, so it would be formatted NTFS. You cannot install macOS to an NTFS volume. The drive has to be erased to change the partition map on the drive from Master Boot Record to GUID. And, setting the drive format to APFS.
You can't install macOS on the OLD drive unless you format it first. It has booted your MBPro for several years. I don't think that you have any reason that the OLD drive will give you any trouble doing that with macOS.

And, thanks @iluvmacs99 - you said what I wanted to say very nicely... :cool:

m1zzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 19, 2021
I had windows on bootcamp. I still had macos sierra in the background but haven't used it in years. I really appreciate the help and advice :) reinstalled the original ssd card, downloaded Catalina from the app store and installing it now. Hope it will do the trick :)

iluvmacs99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2019
I had windows on bootcamp. I still had macos sierra in the background but haven't used it in years. I really appreciate the help and advice :) reinstalled the original ssd card, downloaded Catalina from the app store and installing it now. Hope it will do the trick :)

Make sure you download the Catalina combo update, because you're jumping from an old OS to a new OS and you missed a number of critical firmware updates to support your NVMe 3rd party drive. The critical updates to support NVMe and APFS format are on the High Sierra install or the Catalina combo update and you want to go through the updates "using" the original drive and install all these firmware updates first. Make sure your firmware version is up-to-date as you can get that from the Apple site. Your MB Pro should have the EFI firmware version of
  • MacBookPro11,1 431.0.0.0.0 or higher.
Once that is done, then you can install the 3rd party NVMe drive into the MacBook Pro and then take the original 256GB ssd and install on the external drive. Then boot off from the external drive and then clone it back into the NVMe drive. That's how I did it with my MacBook Air and in fact, that was the step by step instruction that came with my NVMe drive. You really need to follow a specific process outlined by your drive's manufacturer to work properly. Or else, you have another issue with drive crashing your system when you take it out of sleep which can happen if your firmware is not updated properly.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.