Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Hi!

so...i'm about to buy my first MIDI keyboard, for use with garage band...the only reason i hesitate is because the keyboard does not have any drivers...maybe i don't need any, though? When I look at new keyboards/controllers, though, they all seem to come with CD/ROMs, which suggests that there is something needed to connect keyboard and computer?) my thought is to buy a MIDI interface:

either this

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno-main.html

or

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MIDISPORT1x1-main.html

(btw, can anyone suggest why i should prefer one of these over the other? to the eyes of a newbie they seem to do the exact same thing! the only difference i noticed was that the midisport has "16 discrete MIDI output channels" whereas the uno's channels aren't "discrete"...should i care?)

and then hook-up the keyboard to my mac through that...am i missing something? have i simplified the process? any thoughts? suggestions? recommendations?

pulsewidth947

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2005
I used to own the Midisport 1x1, and it was fine (although I had only used it with Win XP, but if it works with that it should work with Macs easily!).

The only difference I can see between the two is the Uno comes with built in cabling. If you already own MIDI cables, its up to you which you decide on, if you dont, I'd go for the Uno as you dont have to buy more cabling.

The reason why other keyboards come with cds/drivers is they (usually) connect to the computer using USB and so you need drivers for use in Windows.

I'd be very surprised if you plugged in either of the aforementioned MIDI interfaces and OSX doesnt recognise it. Funnily enough, I sold my Midisport 1x1 to someone wanting to use their Keyboard with Garageband. I didnt hear anything back regarding problems so I think its safe to assume it works nicely :)

The only issue you will need to be aware of is which MIDI channel your keyboard is transmitting on. Your manual should be able to tell you this, then you will need to make sure Garageband is set to the same channel. I don't use Garageband so I cant be certain of that (for all I know Garageband could respond to All MIDI channels, thus avoiding the need for setting up), but I'm sure one of the other helpful guys on here will be able to confirm that to you.

Also, dont worry about the whole discrete thing. In my opinion its just there to pad out the information! MIDI channels ARE discrete!

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
THANKS pulsewidth!

your post was VERY helpful...i'll move forward with confidence...

cheers!

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Just yesterday I hooked up an Alesis QS7 keyboard through an M-Audio Uno to the Mac. I was using Logic Express but certainly it would have been just as easy in Garageband.

I didn't need the Alesis CD-rom but I did install the M-audio Uno driver.

Piece of cake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.