Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drdeez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2016
hello all

i have a quick question

i just bought a 4K TV (sony x810c)

it has a few HDMI ports and a few USB ports

my question is regarding the best way to connect my macbook to this TV for purposes of watching movies / streaming / playing video games

my macbook has a thunderbolt port and an HDMI port

i could do HDMI to TV directly
my questions:

1. would it be better/faster/better quality if i did thunderbolt --> adapter --> TV ?

2. would laptop -> HDMI -> TV be the same as laptop -> thunderbolt -> HDMI adapter -> TV since my TV doesn't have a thunderbolt plug? (sort of like "downgrading" the connection) ??

thanks for the help !

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
thanks !

will this output content in 4k or 1080p ?
You can use 4K displays and Ultra HD TVs at the following resolutions and refresh rates when you connect them to the built-in HDMI port on your Mac:

• 3840x2160 at 30 Hz
  • 4096x2160 at 24 Hz (mirroring is not supported at this resolution)

Reactions: imhereareyou

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
hello all

i have a quick question

i just bought a 4K TV (sony x810c)

it has a few HDMI ports and a few USB ports

my question is regarding the best way to connect my macbook to this TV for purposes of watching movies / streaming / playing video games

my macbook has a thunderbolt port and an HDMI port

i could do HDMI to TV directly
my questions:

1. would it be better/faster/better quality if i did thunderbolt --> adapter --> TV ?

2. would laptop -> HDMI -> TV be the same as laptop -> thunderbolt -> HDMI adapter -> TV since my TV doesn't have a thunderbolt plug? (sort of like "downgrading" the connection) ??

thanks for the help !

Which year is your MacBook Pro with only one thunderbolt I would think 2011?? That machine output at 4K anyway.....

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Which solution you should use depends on the age of your MacBook Pro and its screen size. By using the Thunderbolt port, you may be able to take advantage of the 4K resolution at 60 Hz. You won't be able to with the HDMI port.

------

Which year is your MacBook Pro with only one thunderbolt I would think 2011?? That machine output at 4K anyway.....
- He didn't say exactly one TB port. He said it has a TB port (and an HDMI). The interpretation should be that it has two TB ports, one HDMI, and that it is a Retina MacBook Pro.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Which solution you should use depends on the age of your MacBook Pro and its screen size. By using the Thunderbolt port, you may be able to take advantage of the 4K resolution at 60 Hz. You won't be able to with the HDMI port.

------

- He didn't say exactly one TB port. He said it has a TB port (and an HDMI). The interpretation should be that it has two TB ports, one HDMI, and that it is a Retina MacBook Pro.

Why should that be the interpretation?? It is unclear so I asked the OP to clarify, its no use giving advice without knowing what he is working with as a 2011 won't output 4K and any such advice is useless....

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Why should that be the interpretation?? It is unclear so I asked the OP to clarify, its no use giving advice without knowing what he is working with as a 2011 won't output 4K and any such advice is useless....
- I agree that precision is important, and his machine very well might not be able to output 4K, which is also why I (implicitly) asked for more information about his machine.
But we must also be able to rely upon the information he is giving, so we know the machine has an HDMI port, which means a 2011 machine is out of the question, and that a Retina model is the only possibility.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
- I agree that precision is important, and his machine very well might not be able to output 4K, which is also why I (implicitly) asked for more information about his machine.
But we must also be able to rely upon the information he is giving, so we know the machine has an HDMI port, which means a 2011 machine is out of the question, and that a Retina model is the only possibility.

Damn forgot the HDMI didn't arrive until 2012, You are correct sir.

drdeez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2016

------

yes this is correct

it has 2 thunderbolt ports and an HDMI port

it is a retina macbook pro mid 2012

i have read various different things as to whether or not it can output 4k but even 1080p is fine with me !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.