Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
We have a 5th Gen iPad Mini. We got a USB A to Lightning adapter so my son could use a keyboard and mouse with it (it has 2 USB A ports on the adapter).

The mouse is working great. The keyboard is clearly seen - as it takes input on the lock screen (entering a code), and the keyboard keys move the cursor around almost like a mouse. But you can't type actual text in anywhere.

Has anybody run across this? It feels like there's just a setting we're missing, but we think we've tried them all... TIA.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Try connecting it without the mouse connected just to see if that fixes the problem. Maybe it's a weird adapter that's making the iPad see it as one device or something.

You might be better off just buying some cheap bluetooth accessories instead. You can usually find a keyboard and mouse set for under $30 on Amazon. I can't speak for the quality, but there's lots to choose from - just read some reviews.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Try connecting it without the mouse connected just to see if that fixes the problem. Maybe it's a weird adapter that's making the iPad see it as one device or something.

You might be better off just buying some cheap bluetooth accessories instead. You can usually find a keyboard and mouse set for under $30 on Amazon. I can't speak for the quality, but there's lots to choose from - just read some reviews.

Thanks - we tried that and it could very well be an adapter issue. It treats the keyboard like a mouse, to be honest - whether the mouse is connected and working or not. Trying to type any letters moves the cursor around.

Oddly enough, using the same adapter on his iPhone SE (3rd Gen) - it all works fine. 🤷‍♂️

Our next step is to do just that - find a normal keyboard and mouse that can just connect direct via bluetooth and see if that works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.