Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2010
I have a Word document that I duplicate and edit for a newsletter. The end result is a PDF, so it doesn't matter to the end readers, but I'd prefer to use Pages for editing new editions, however in opening the Word document, a few things end up being different.

For example, in the Word document, the tables can go beyond the page margins, but in the Pages import of the file, it can't. I'm also having trouble selecting some images and text that seem to form part of a template or are "stuck" in the background.

I'd like to learn more about the table of contents feature, the layout/formatting options, and what the difference is between Word and Pages in terms of these finer points. For me the end result would be twofold—learn these things for personal knowledge, and have a template with which I can easily replace the images and text in future editions of the newsletter without have to experiment against deadlines.

I'll get this done ASAP on a PC with Microsoft Word to meet my current deadline, but for the future I'd like to hire someone to spend a couple of hours going through the existing one, cleaning up the formatting and leaving nice templates for Word and Pages alike. If anyone here can do that and include a session to explain, that'd be great. I hope it's fine to ask for that here, and I'm happy to pay via an existing platform/marketplace if preferred.

I figure I'll post here and can work out details via direct message if someone is available. Thank you!

Reactions: ignatius345

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I'm not interested in your offer, however, you should know that complex Word documents (tables, borders, variable margins, graphics, etc) do not translate to Pages very well. You usually end up having to redo the entire document.

Good luck with your venture.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
The latest version of Pages is not as good as the older '09 version for newsletters because of the limited capabilities of linked text boxes in the latest version.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
The latest version of Pages is not as good as the older '09 version for newsletters because of the limited capabilities of linked text boxes in the latest version.

Which version are you using?

In the latest version there is a circle at the top of the text box in the middle which will enable to you link to another text box.

For this to work you will need to create two text boxes on the page to be able to link them.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 7.51.45 PM.png

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Which version are you using?

In the latest version there is a circle at the top of the text box in the middle which will enable to you link to another text box.

For this to work you will need to create two text boxes on the page to be able to link them.

View attachment 940219
I'm using both the latest and Pages '09.
One limitation with the latest version is that linked text boxes can't be linked "backward" across pages. For example, you can't have a text box on page 2 flow to a text box on page 1. That doesn't sound very useful on the surface but when you're creating booklets and pamphlets, text boxes can frequently appear in that order because of duplex and multi-part booklets.

BryanElliott

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2014
Los Santos
You're probably better off just buying Microsoft Office and editing it on your own machine. Hiring someone to edit a complex document is going to be more trouble than it's worth. Just bite the bullet and purchase a licence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.