Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What should I go for? (Both Options are MacBook Pro 16-inch with 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM)

• Total voters

XenonxRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2023
I don’t know the actual differences between these both. Please compare and explain with some basic key aspects like,
  1. Battery Life
  2. Performance, etc.
I’m New to MacBooks and I’m an aspiring Data Scientist, Recent Graduate, Graphic Designer/Rare Video Editor and an Average Gamer.

Thanks in Advance for the Help!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The max will give you superior GPU scores, but I would caution you regarding gaming expectation. Most AAA games are not Mac compatible. I don't know what type of games you hope to play but I would do a bit of research if that's important to you.

I think for computationally intensive activities, and it sounds like your expected usage falls into that category, the Max makes more sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: XenonxRanger

XenonxRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2023
The max will give you superior GPU scores, but I would caution you regarding gaming expectation. Most AAA games are not Mac compatible. I don't know what type of games you hope to play but I would do a bit of research of that's important to you.

I think for computationally intensive activities, and it sounds like your expected usage falls into that category, the Max makes more sense.
What about the battery life difference between both? From what I heard Max consumes more power than Pro chips. Is it true? Also can the max give the same battery life as the pro when modes are changed in the battery section in settings?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What about the battery life difference between both?
The link benchmark lines up with what I've seen/heard/read. You get about 2 hours less, but I'll still say its exceedingly better then any windows laptop

We tested the battery life of the MacBook Pro 14-inch M2 Pro and M2 Max — which one is better?
1675772750723.png

Max consumes more power than Pro chips. Is it true?
Yes, more cores equates to more power.

Reactions: XenonxRanger

XenonxRanger

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2023
The link benchmark lines up with what I've seen/heard/read. You get about 2 hours less, but I'll still say its exceedingly better then any windows laptop

We tested the battery life of the MacBook Pro 14-inch M2 Pro and M2 Max — which one is better?
View attachment 2154832

Yes, more cores equates to more power.
Thanks man! I referred the link you attached and got a pretty good idea what it is like for the 14-inch’s battery life. And also I found a article discussing about the 16-inch’s battery life and it seems M2 Max is doing better in terms of battery life from this upgrade.

Check this: https://www.laptopmag.com/news/macb...-battery-life-results-are-in-it-just-wont-die

Reactions: maflynn
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.