Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
I have an iPad Pro 10.5 from 2018 that needs either a battery replacement or replacement with a newer model. It's only 64gb wifi only and seems like it might only be worth $200 (based on swappa and other online sites). I mainly use the iPad for web browsing and reddit with occasional watching movies or playing games. Based on this what makes the most sense? If I replace it what model would make most sense for my uses?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I have an iPad Pro 10.5 from 2018 that needs either a battery replacement or replacement with a newer model. It's only 64gb wifi only and seems like it might only be worth $200 (based on swappa and other online sites). I mainly use the iPad for web browsing and reddit with occasional watching movies or playing games. Based on this what makes the most sense? If I replace it what model would make most sense for my uses?
I have the same model. Curious why you feel the battery needs replacement?

Coolpher

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2008
Seattle,WA
I mean my 2021 12.9 is at 82% battery health using the coconut battery app on my Mac. What is yours at to make you think that you need a new device already? I would try and hold out until the new device comes out but I’m curious to really know what your battery percentage healthwise is just download the free coconut battery app and plug your iPad into your computer and it’ll tell you it’ll even tell you when it was manufactured.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
It was a 2017 model and it says it’s at 67%. I can just be here online, no other processes running and it will drop 10% in 15 mins. It doesn’t last longer than 2 or 3 hours unplugged. It’s also only a 64gb model and is nearly full, every update I have to offload apps just to get enough room to install the update. I went to an Apple Store 2-3 years ago because the screen also has white spots (apparently a know issue with this model) and they told me back then it was at 81%. I think I’m done trying to keep it operational and will get a new one, now I’m just unsure of what model to get.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
It was a 2017 model and it says it’s at 67%. I can just be here online, no other processes running and it will drop 10% in 15 mins. It doesn’t last longer than 2 or 3 hours unplugged. It’s also only a 64gb model and is nearly full, every update I have to offload apps just to get enough room to install the update. I went to an Apple Store 2-3 years ago because the screen also has white spots (apparently a know issue with this model) and they told me back then it was at 81%. I think I’m done trying to keep it operational and will get a new one, now I’m just unsure of what model to get.
I'm essentially in the same boat as you. I have the same iPad. And I also suspect my battery needs replacement.

I'm going to wait until March/April to see the OLED iPads before I make a decision.

If I had to purchase a new iPad today, I would get this one. I always purchase refurbished iPads from Apple.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It's not going to help huge amount, but put your iPad in Low Power Mode. You can add that toggle to Control Center.

How important is the ProMotion screen?

Also take a look at Amazon refurbished/renewed because you can get 4 years of 3rd party defect/damage insurance for like $120 which is significantly less expensive than AppleCare.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Cycle count? Just curious.

As you’ll get an updated iPad, expect poor battery life regardless. 1st and 2nd-gen iPad Pros have been obliterated by iOS updates. I’d just keep it as a secondary device and for content consumption I’d recommend the 10th-gen iPad. Or if you don’t mind the difference with the full screen, the 9th-gen, too.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
After reading a bunch and mainly based on my budget I’m going to get a 10th gen iPad. Today I went from 100 to 30 in 49 mins of screen time. I don’t do any intense editing or anything so I don’t need the extra cpu power of the pro. I have to say I dont really understand the difference between the air and the regular iPad, seems redundant to me. I will probably keep the old one, maybe I’ll try a battery replacement on my own and see how that goes.

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
As long as you’re keeping your current one for a while longer, just wait until the new models are announced, even if you’re thinking of the base model.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
After reading a bunch and mainly based on my budget I’m going to get a 10th gen iPad. Today I went from 100 to 30 in 49 mins of screen time. I don’t do any intense editing or anything so I don’t need the extra cpu power of the pro. I have to say I dont really understand the difference between the air and the regular iPad, seems redundant to me. I will probably keep the old one, maybe I’ll try a battery replacement on my own and see how that goes.
Basically the Air has a bit better screen, uses the Pencil 2, and can use the same cases/keyboards as the iPad Pro. The iPad 10 has a different keyboard case, landscape front camera, and uses the new base Pencil or Pencil 1

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 23, 2015
I decided to try an iPad 10 and after using it a few days I’m returning it. The biggest thing I couldn’t get over was the screen. The gap between the inner and outer screen was just way too noticeable and bugged me. It wasn’t any faster and really the only thing it did better was battery life. I think what I’ll do is keep my old pro and look for deals on last years pro or air. I dont want a 12 inch,too big for my needs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.